Thread: Jagged Alliance Crossfire is worth it or not?

Jagged Alliance Crossfire is worth it or not?

I just saw on Steam that Jagged Alliance Crossfire has been released. I had played Jagged Alliance 2 and I had loved this game. I would like to play Jagged Alliance Crossfire too as it is from the same series. But before I buy this game, I would like to know if this game is nice or is it bad? This game wasn’t promoted or neither heard of before. So I have doubt that this game won’t be interesting as before. Can someone tell me about this game?

Re: Jagged Alliance Crossfire is worth it or not?

Actually Jagged Alliance Crossfire is an add-on for the game Jagged Alliance Back in Action. So first you will need to buy Jagged Alliance Back in Action and then you will need to get Jagged Alliance Crossfire. Good thing is that Jagged Alliance Crossfire needs support of Jagged Alliance Back in Action and thus both games can be executed separately and played separately too. There have been many improvements in Jagged Alliance Crossfire. Various new items have been added in the game that can be placed in the inventory of the mercenaries. It also includes new tactical modes and new mercenaries to execute these tactics. If you had loved the previous game of Jagged Alliance series, then you will surely love this game too.

You will like the new scenarios that have been added in Jagged Alliance Crossfire. Another great thing about this game is that developers have added new terrain elements like hills, the places which go uphills as well as downhill, tunnels and so on. This adds to the challenge in this game. Jagged Alliance Crossfire uses the same map as before, which is Khanpaa. But this time, the map is much smaller. Can’t say smaller exactly, but it has many restricted areas where we cannot go. The story has been made more interesting this time. We have to help U.N. to free some nations from dictatorship while freeing our mercenaries from their clutches.

If you have played Jagged Alliance Back in Action, then let me tell you that pattern of the missions in this game is similar to that in Jagged Alliance Crossfire. You have to first defeat the base of enemies to conquer it and make it our base of operations. Then on the other part of the map, the enemy will be sending in troops to take the base back under their control. So we have to go and terminate remaining of the enemies on the map to get the country secured. You have to go through various areas to achieve your target and accomplish the mission.

In the Jagged Alliance Crossfire add-on you will find ten new mercenaries from which you can hire in your team. This game also has the RPG elements where we can improve our mercenaries by giving them better weapons and equipments to fight with. The more we upgrade a mercenary, he more will it go on improving.

You can buy the guns and armors from the store as well as get from the in game merchants and other NPCs to improve your characters. The quests are not complex and thus you don’t need to put in lots of efforts to complete them. Also completing the quests will give awards necessary for improvement of characters.

The new tactical options given for our use are great in Jagged Alliance Crossfire. We can actually plan and map our moves to complete our objectives. It is not like before that we have to just jump into the fight and go on shooting the enemy. We can pause the game and map down the path for the mercenaries. In this path we can also set the part where they will sprint, walk, crouch or go prone and crawl. We can map the path and actions for multiple mercenaries. We can even synchronize the moves of multiple mercenaries by setting actions related to each other. For example, when mercenary A crawls in right, mercenary B can sprint in some other direction.

The best part about Jagged Alliance Crossfire I felt is that developers have made the environment or maybe the fight area vertical in pattern. Like before it is not just on one level of ground. We have to go up the hill, come down the stairs to reach the enemies below and so on. Also there has been addition of tactical objects in environment which helps to make moves more intelligently. Before all we had to do was to go on attacking. But now we have to use the small houses to take cover. We can even utilize high points like outposts to use sniper and bring down enemies.

The terrain has been designed such that player will need to think before making any move. For example, a route will divide into two parts. Both paths won’t be able to contain all the mercenaries together. So we have to divide them such that we have combination of everything, which is, attack, defense and support. But still at some point the game design lacks logic. For example, I came across an old mother whose son died in civilian war. She gives us a necklace to avenge her son’s death. From looks of her and her environment, she looks rich. Why on earth is such a rich family living in an area where civilian wars are at peak.

Some things that disappointed me is that graphics of the mercenaries haven’t been improved from last game, they look bad as before. The enemy’s attack routes are predictable and so are their actions. Also there is no free-cam that would help us to explore the area in more detail. The environmental objects are static and do not get affected by the fights happening around them. For example, an explosion happens near a wall and wall remains as it is. No blast marks or anything on it. Also many people are finding this game hard to complete in the initial level. This is because of the less money given to start with.

Jagged Alliance Crossfire is a good mix of fight, strategy and management type of game. Also a smaller map saves lot of time as in previous game; we used to spend our most of the time in exploring map for weapons and gold. But with smaller map, getting items and money has become easier than previous game. The simulation of the weapons that are available in this game is also good and makes it look more realistic. Also the sounds used in this game are decent and brings the feeling of the action game in it. The sounds for weapons and other objects are finely and completely designed as one can say, which is the biggest positive point of this game.