Thread: Is the new Death Rally game from Remedy worth it?

Is the new Death Rally game from Remedy worth it?

I just saw that Remedy games which well known for Max Payne and Alan Wake games have released a new game ‘Death Rally’. I haven’t played it yet, but I saw it on friend’s PC and liked it. I am thinking of getting it for myself. I don’t get much time to play games so I wanted to know how is Death Rally as it might happen that I buy this game and it will turn out to be less interesting than expected, so can someone tell me how they felt about this game?

Re: Is the new Death Rally game from Remedy worth it?

Let me tell you the first thing about the Death Rally. It is not high detailed racing games that are available in market nowadays. It is a low end graphic game with top down view of track and cars. There is no chase camera or the cockpit view in this game. But still the game is very interesting. There are cars covered with weapons that can kill anything that comes in its ways. These cars are covered with defensive material need for protection against other such cars. You have to race around the given tracks along with many of your opponents and try to finish them as well as win the race before they do the same. I think this game is fun and as a racing games fan, I enjoyed it very much.

After 16 years, the Death Rally game has been remade and brought back to PC and Android devices by Remedy. There have been many unofficial version of the original game as well as many similar games, but it is always good to play the remake of the original ones. It is just like any other racing game where you have to drive your car across a racing track. But here speed is not just the thing you have to worry about. There is death lurking across every turn and every opponent is hell bent on making your latest your last one. You have to modify your car to survive or stop others from surviving.

When I started this game, I was surprised by looking at the camera angle. It had been years when I had last played a racing game which looked upon the cars from this angle. After starting the game, I thought that it must be the intro which looked from top upon the track, I was waiting for the camera to go down behind the car, but it didn’t go, it just stuck up there. I was irritated at first but later realized that without this camera angle it would have become impossible to play this game. I couldn’t have been able to see what’s coming from behind or who’s firing at me. After some one or two races I found this camera angle comfortable to play with.

The story of Death Rally is not complex or one with many characters and twists. But it is enough to fuel an action based racing game. Also there are no cut scenes in this game for the story but there are comic styles screenings which help us get to the story. There are some audio dialogues in some part, but most of the part is just cars and action.

The developers of Death Rally have focused on the racing and the action. Get yourselves new weapons and defensive parts and jump into the race to win it.

Also controlling a car in Death Rally is a unique part. Usually, this kind of games that have been ever made always had fewer controls. Some games actually had just three to four controls. The car would accelerate automatically while we just have to press left and right and buttons for weapons. But here in Death Rally, the controls are more than just left and right. The control system needs one to change their controlling depending upon the direction you are moving. If you are moving southwards, then the left and right turns might get reverted. Similarly if you are moving in north direction, the controls will be normal and so on for the other directions. You will find them irritating in the beginning, but as the game proceeds you will be comfortable with these controls.

I loved the Death Rally game because of its simplicity. But don’t think that you don’t get many options to try out new things in this game. It is well detailed with many options to try out and play from. Getting into is race is very simple, choose a car, select the weapons you want to put on it, select the race on the bottom of the screen and start the race. Go on shooting the opponents to smoke them out and collect the rewards they drop and win the race to unlock more cars, weapons and tracks.

But this is not what this game has. The cars are detailed to act according to their weight. This means, a heavy car might have less peed but good handling. As compared to it, a lighter car will have more speed but will have less strength to hold to opponent’s attacks. Also the cars can drift or slide depending on the track. For example, on a sandy track, the drift will be more while on smooth tracks power sliding will be more.

One thing that I disliked about Death Rally is that developers haven’t changed the game when porting it to the PC. The game looks same when played on iOS devices, Android devices and PC. I expected the graphics and the effects to be of higher quality on the PC. But it is same on every device. So if you have a Android phone or tablet, then Ill suggest you t use it for playing Death Rally then PC. Also some tracks have been repeated all over the game. For example, if you will race on a track and then after few races, the same track will appear, but this time you drive cars in reverse. Also many times you will get a feeling that the tracks are designed without any planning. This is because certain turns look so difficult that it seems that it would be difficult for a car to pass while drifting.

I find this similar to Death Race movie. I always wanted to play the game like this. It is totally like it and gives the feeling of being Jason Statham behind the wheel. You have to go behind the opponent and start hammering him with the guns and the explosives mounted on your car. As you proceed towards the 1st position, you will hammered by your opponent from behind. The multiplayer mode of this game is bit of slow responding, but when playing it, it totally gives the fun we deserve to get. With a reasonable price and of good value, this game proves to be the best available for playing in sort intervals.