Thread: Impressions on Prototype 2

Impressions on Prototype 2

So the sequel to the third person open world game has released on July 24. I had played the first Prototype game and loved it because of its unique concept and gameplay. We could go on any part of the city, any building, any area. Pick any car, throw it around from height or throw it on height. We can kill any person, infected, soldier or civilian. We can even consume them to look like them or to read their memories. It was awesome game. I am planning to play the second game in the series when I get time sooner or later. Can anyone who has played this game tell me how it is, is it good or is it better than previous one?

Re: Impressions on Prototype 2

The game is more awesome that the previous Prototype game as it gives one more control over the player than in the previous part. You can also use more number of powers to play this game. The action is more defined and has a good depth to it. There are many improvements in the powers that James Heller has. Many people who had played Prototype said that though the game slows down while switching the powers,

it becomes difficult to switch powers while I a fight. They needed some control by which they can select the last power they used to quickly switch during fights. But now in Prototype 2 we can have two powers in the inventory that can be changed at will by press of one button.

The fights are well defined in terms of effect. In previous game, you could attack with any power to anyone. You could use whiplash on armored tank but it would receive less damage, so you needed to use the hammer fist. But now in Prototype 2 these powers have been dedicated for specific use. You can still use Whiplash on armored tanks and it will do little damage. The change that has been brought is now some power that is dedicated for some use will do more effect. For example, claws will kill humans more effectively than before. This means, hammer fist will now work more effectively on tanks.

Though Prototype was a good game it lacked the variety in missions. After few missions all the missions seemed similar in fashion. For example, consume some high ranked soldier or kill some person or beat some monster. But now in Prototype 2, this repetition of missions has been eliminated by adding some fun filled innovative missions. You have to release a beast from its cage by killing all the blackwatch troopers around the facility and then consuming as the doctor to take his form and get into the facility. Once done, you try to consume it for its power but you fail and the breast releases into city. You have to chase him by running over the buildings and vehicles. You have tear down the army tanks and smash the helicopters in your way to the monster. I’d say, in terms of gameplay Prototype 2 is nice game.

I played Prototype 2 and I can say that there is a great improvement in the graphics of this game. The textures look great with well- defined detailing. In Prototype, if you stopped in mid way while climbing a building, you would see that the textures of the bricks were flat and easily seen like pasted wallpaper. But now the textures have been given a depth and other property which makes the graphics look well defined and sharp. Also the visual effects in the game so rich and well made that an explosion looks great. The placements of the effects are better than the previous game. This whole graphic stuff gives an different feel while playing the game. I think that the graphics of Prototype 2 are designed so well that they actually give us the feel of being in a city struck by tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shikamaru Nara View Post
    I played Prototype 2 and I can say that there is a great improvement in the graphics of this game. The textures look great with well- defined detailing.
    I agree that the graphics used in the environment of Prototype 2 are great and it actually makes the game come out alive. But I think that developers should have also focused on making the textures for the characters rich in quality. I was left unsatisfied by how the characters of the game were not properly detailed.

Another bad thing about the graphics was that during the cut-scenes, the framerate would go down at such a low rate that watching them becomes impossible. I think that developers didn’t focus on this part and I think this is the part where the game loses its charm.

In Prototype 2 the pace of the game seems to be increased. You can run faster and glide at larger distance with more speeds. The attacks are more powerful. The moves are very much responsive and give a feel of having power that makes us stand on top of the world. The smashing, trashing and slicing abilities are so improved that in couple of seconds you can kill more than 50 enemies with one or two mighty blows. In Prototype, you had to take Alex Mercer closer to the person you want to consume.

But here in Prototype 2 you can choose your target from a heavy crowd and consume him using the tentacles from your body. You don’t always need to go near him/her. I think this is trhe best ability added in Prototype 2 by the developers. Though it looks gross in the beginning, regularly using it makes it fun.

Prototype 2 makes you feel like a boss. Run on the side of the buildings, Jump high up in the air and drop on the ground to make a he shockwaves, go on killing and smashing whatever comes in the way and throw any car at any enemy at will. This game is awesome. I found the side quests very much interesting as they offer good adventure and prices. We are strong at the start of the game and till the end; we are like next to the God. No one can beat us and we can beat anyone we want without any fear. The game is so exciting, that I was swearing at top of my voice every time I missed my target.

One thing of advice, this game is very violent and once you get into the middle of the game, all you will see is red blood flying all over the screen with bodies being blasted, sucked, sliced or being smashed. This game is not for light hearted people and people who get nightmares at night. You don’t show any mercy, but just keep dishing out hefty blows one after another to spurn more blood out of your enemies. But over this, you will just love it as you get complete freedom to do whatever you wish to in the city. You will find upgrades for your powers and then you will think of trying them out, so go on provoking the army enough to create a war and you as James Heller as an one man army. Hijack helicopters and bomb the enemy, rip the tanks or drive them to go in full blasting mode. This whole thing is fun.

Prototype 2 is a good game which shows the tragedy of a person who has lost is family and is seeking revenge. There is a part where is about to kill a soldier and he says that killing him won’t get his family back. I think that the developers have given a good dramatic feel to the game wherever needed. But one thing that is missing here is the decision making. I think that there was a good scope to have decisions where we can decide if we want to spare a person or kill him/her with these effects making changes in the gameplay. Sparing someone would get us some help from him later parts or killing someone would lead to provocation of some other enemy. I think decision taking would have improved the game’s experience.