Thread: Best 4x space game available in the market?

Best 4x space game available in the market?

I just played Endless Space and finished almost till the part where I have eight planets under my rule. I liked this game and it was an awesome experience. I got a different experience from usual strategy games. This game was different from all other strategy games and I liked the concept of this game. I think I will try other games that are similar to Endless Space, I mean 4x game with Sci-Fi theme. Can someone tell me similar 4x games that are available in market and are close to Endless Space?

Re: Best 4x space game available in the market?

You can try Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, it too is a 4x game with sci-fi theme and almost similar to Endless Space. This game is developed by Firaxis games, the same developers who have developed Civilization series. This game was released in year 1999 and the game is set in futuristic world of 22nd century. I know that after reading the year of release 1999, you must have thought that this game will be of low end, but let me tell you one thing about it. During its time, it has proved to be the finest game in this category. The main concept of this game is also very similar. You have to take over the planet of aliens and establish your base there, discover and uncover mysteries and other fun factors. If you liked Endless Space for its gameplay, then you will like Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri too.

Another game in 4 x categories is the Galactic Civilizations II which is set in period of 23rd century. The game has The Terran Alliance which consists of some factions. You have to control these factions to fight an space war to protect the galaxy from threat of evil Drengin Empire and the allies that help him accomplish his ruthless intentions. To add to the troubles, the Dread Lords, also known as precursor civilization are siding with both the parties to ensure that they will side with the best one when the time arrives and advantages seem high. Even in this game you have to fight wars in space using the spaceships, futuristic technologies and weapons and beat the enemy using them. You will have to build empire and communicate with other empires. You can negotiate and trade with other empires.

I have played Sword of the Stars games which are of 4 x types. I think that this game is somewhat close to the Endless Space in terms of detailing provided in the game. Here in Sword of the Stars you have around 12 classes using which you can play the game. The first part is somewhat less detailed but the second part has more details than that were present in the first game. Te planetary system and the other attributes like moons, starts, and asteroid are very well detailed. The detailing done on the spaceships is also awesome in this game. I suggest that if you want a 4x sci-fi game to play after Endless Space, then Sword of the Stars series is best for you.

If you like Endless Space and want to try another game of same type, then go for Sins of a Solar Empire. It too is a good game with detailed space expedition and war. It is very much similar to Endless Space but the only difference is that it is more of real time strategy than 4x type of game. I don’t exactly know where to categorize Sins of a Solar Empire into, real time strategy or 4x. But let me tell you that many people debated on its category. This game is more fun in the multiplayer mode. It has much better multiplayer mode than that of Endless Space.

Master of Orion 2 is another great 4x game which was actually my first game and encouraged me to play 4x games. I use Master of Orion 2 as a benchmark to compare other games with it. It was one of the finest strategy games that I have ever played in my younger days. The year, in which it was released, I think that it had graphics that were built for future. Also with such good quality of graphics, it didn’t consume much hardware resources. You should try this game too as it will give you one of the best experience of playing an 4x sci-fi game.

I had once played a game by name Legends of Pegasus. It too was of 4x sci-fi type and it too was good. I don’t know much about Endless Space, but Legends of Pegasus had a good story and better concept than Endless Space. It was not just about conquering space and planets for fun. It was story of some space crew who got trapped in some far away galaxy. They have now found a suitable planet where they can stay. They have to colonize the planet and make it livable for themselves. After this you have to process to travel in the space and defeat the aliens trying to attack the recently found planet and reach to earth. You can conquer different planets in between to get more places to expand and develop. You should give his game a try.