Thread: Endless Space is pretty much a broken game

Endless Space is pretty much a broken game

I started playing Endless Space some days back and I have played enough to have large number of colonies and planets under my rule. But after playing this game for so long, one thing I can tell about it is that it quite broken in terms of quality. It seems like AI always overpowers us. The inventory and every other item that is given to us for battle is mismanaged and unbalanced in this game. The pirates seem totally unbeatable. Actually I didn’t find any glitches or errors in Endless Space, but the gameplay has many problems. Does anybody else too feel it?

re: Endless Space is pretty much a broken game

The one thing that I found awful in Endless Space’s gameplay is that the base structure of the game is just hit or miss type. You attack the enemy, the attack either hits the enemy or we miss the attack. Even when defending, same thing happens as we either get hit or we get missed. So there are no intermediate stages like getting badly damaged or maybe getting disabled for some time. You either get damaged or get saved. I think some more flexibility is need in the gameplay system. One must have option to temporarily disable the enemy’s battle ship. This will be helpful as it won’ be able to attack for some. Again many possibilities will be available, like bigger ships will need more powerful attacks to get disabled while the smaller ones can easily be disabled. They wouldn’t attack for some turns and this will increase the excitement in the game.

Re: Endless Space is pretty much a broken game

So there are no intermediate stages like getting badly damaged or maybe getting disabled for some time. You either get damaged or get saved. I think some more flexibility is need in the gameplay system.
    I too agree with you, there should be a stage where a heavy damage has been taken by the battle ship in Endless Space. It won’t reduce the HP to low levels, but will cause enough damage to have one of the weapons or armor disabled or unusable. This will be fun as the enemy or maybe we will have challenge to survive without certain item of attack or defense. It would be another fun factor, where a new piece of armor or weapon that we have purchased gets easily damaged and unusable in next level. I think its use will be mostly seen in the multiplayer games. Also as you have mentioned that ships can be disabled, we could have space ninjas or maybe some assassins, which would enter the ship and take over the spaceship to fight on our side. It would be fun as it would need more strategical thinking.

I don’t know how many people have noticed it, but it seems like planet’s poor conditions don’t seem to affect the AI in any way in Endless Space. If we take over a planet, then first we have to make the planet suitable for living of people of our class. We have to clear the planet’s atmosphere of poisonous gases and other unsuitable factors. This whole process of making the planet suitable for our living takes many rounds itself. Also it costs us money to get the planet cleared of unwanted things. When I conquer a new planet, it takes around 150 turns for me to have a full-fledged proper civilization with adequate military forces t protect the civilization. After these 150 rounds, I start preparing army and civilization for war to conquer another planet. But here in Endless Space, AI seems to have no effect of all these. After 100 rounds, if you take a look at enemy, he will be having fully developed civilization with hundreds of battleships ready to attack. Now I think this is one thing that developers got wrong.

After 100 rounds, if you take a look at enemy, he will be having fully developed civilization with hundreds of battleships ready to attack. Now I think this is one thing that developers got wrong.
    I too noticed it but ignored it as I never went into such depth of Endless Space’s gameplay. But now after reading your post I actually played a game only to see if it is true and yes it is true. At first I thought that AI must be assigned with infinite amount of funds because of which it was making such a good progress. But then I thought that even 100 rounds are very lees to have such a developed civilization. It would have been understood if they were present on a planet from start of the game. But one faction takes over the planet and within 100 rounds it has everything is just ridiculous. Even with infinite money, clearing up the atmosphere of hazards, clearing the hazards on planet, the establishing base and civilization, upgrading it politically, economically and along with it military is next to impossible in 100 rounds. It takes around 250 to 300 rounds to reach at such a level in Endless Space.

I think the intention of the developers to have such an enormous growth for AI was to maintain the difficulty of the game. If the AI to improve like human players, then maybe it would remain weak or easily defeated. Also if there wouldn’t be any difficulty in the game, what would be the fun? These same conditions exist in many other strategy games too. Most of the A develops faster than human players. But I think the pattern in which the enemy attacks in Endless Space is very awkward. The Ai won’t attack us for first 100 rounds, acceptable as it needs to give human players time to build their army and civilization. But once after it starts attacking, it will attack using a large army at one moment and then disappear for nest 50 rounds. Again they will appear in packs, attack and disappear. I think in between these long breaks, the AI should keep sending some small pack of enemies to keep us busy.

The difficulty levels available in Endless Space are actually useless if seen. I have played many strategy games to know how AI should generally behave on different difficulty levels. But here in Endless Space, the AI behaves almost in same manner on various difficulty levels. I started the game on Normal difficulty and found that even the AI in the initial levels of the game is unbeatable. So I reduced the difficulty to Easy and started playing. I managed to beat the AI on first one planet and again the AI on second planet became tough as that on Normal difficulty. So I went on the newbie difficulty, but the things remained same. The difficulty was still high and beating AI was next to impossible. I don’t know how developers are expecting the players to win this game.

I think that Horatio is one such class that needs to be toned down. It has such a good amount of influence that it becomes difficult to beat them. They go on building their civilization so quickly that it is almost difficult to match them. I started new game and selected Horatio as my class. Let me tell you, they are one fast growing civilization in Endless Space. Also the pirates easily dominate the game. I think that developers of Endless Space need to tone down the performance of the Pirates and Horatio to match them with other classes.

It seems like the AI takes us for granted and lets us have one planet in whole universe. Even n Easy difficulty level, it is difficult to get more than one planet. Once the second planet is taken, the AI starts attacking and takes away one of the two planets we have. I have given up playing the single player campaign of Endless Space as I never got more than two planets. Also the diplomacy options available in this game are very weak. In one turn we make peace treaty with our enemy and 10 rounds later, they come in huge fleets to attack our planets. Endless Space’s single player campaign is getting on my nerves and I think it is time I quit playing this game.