Thread: Endless Space single player story good enough?

Endless Space single player story good enough?

I watched the trailer of Endless Space and thus I liked it. I purchased this game and started it in my computer. After completing the tutorial, I went into the multiplayer mode and started playing it. I liked the game and it is nicely made. I liked the gameplay and the graphics. But I have one doubt, will the single player campaign have story in which we have to complete objectives and to proceed the story further. Are there any characters that will participate in the story and give us some reason to fight? Anybody who must have played this game can tell me if its story based single player campaign or just random fights?

Re: Endless Space single player story good enough?

I don’t think that Endless Space has any storyline. Such games actually don’t need any story to proceed as the battle itself is so interesting that story is always ignored. I have been playing strategy games from days of Age of Empire and Command and Conquer: Red Alert. Let me tell you that strategy games have the least story line. Just in some games, to add some reason, one nation invades or attacks another and so the other nation or kingdom attacks back. But if seen, most of the strategy games have thinnest plot possible. Also they have least characters that help to keep the story simple and easy to follow. I think that this is how strategy games work best and should continue to be. Endless Space too is doing the same.

Warcraft 3 was an strategy game and it had and good story which was very detailed. It had numerous characters which played important roles in the development and the progression of the game’s story. I think Endless Space had the scope of developing a story. Maybe they could have shown that when humans start exploring the space, the Pirates become their enemies and to defeat the pirates, some other faction becomes ally with the humans. With some other forces trying to conquer the space will need to fight with them. So this could have given rise to a story with some leaders trying to play politics with each other.

I don’t think Endless Space and most of the strategy games need any story to have the game. I remember Command and Conquer games don’t have much of the story. All the game has that some story or plot is that some nation is attacked and we have to defend or attack them back. But in start we are shown the enemies starting an attack and later on all we see is the leaders of the army or nation telling us about new type of unit that the enemy has brought to attack us. But there is no twist or any sudden changes in the game. Even if any twist is present it is like some of our troops betray us and we have to fight against our own army. So if seen then there is no proper story in, most of the strategy games.

Because of the story in games, they become sort linear in pattern and keeps on going in single path without much participation of player. In Warcraft 3, if there would be any mission to defeat the humans using the orcs, then once they were defeated the game would finish. Also because of story, the game would need to make the units behave in a restricted manner. For example, if one a character was scared of another character, then they would hardly meet each other to face each other in battle. But without any story, such situations don’t arise. Any character can fight against any other player giving rise to many possibilities in the game.

Endless Space has around eight classes to choose from when starting the game. If all the classes were given minimum of two characters, then it will have around 16 characters in the game. Managing the characters along with the story would become extremely difficult and would make it difficult for developers to adjust them according to the story. Also having characters means they will keep telling us to achieve or complete a mission. So this will again restrict the game’s story or gameplay to limited possibilities of completion. Endless Space should remain without any story as it is of now so that one can explore the large inventory and different possibilities that they hold.

Endless Space has around eight classes to choose from when starting the game. If all the classes were given minimum of two characters, then it will have around 16 characters in the game.
    If characters are introduced in Endless Space, then there would also be requirement of some sort of interaction with them. If this was done, then the interactions would lead to change in the game. So again the gameplay would become directed in one direction and fail to remain open to possibilities type. Also with eight characters, to add twists and some backstabbing in the story, it would become difficulty as it would become complex to design the politics in this game. So Endless Space must not have any story. Also to conquer some area of the space, it needs no reason like provoking or enmity, it just needs will and wish.

Endless Space not having story if thought from the technical point of view, then it is an advantageous factor. Suppose to have a story, characters were introduced in this game. Then making the characters, adding animation and then adding to the game would have increased the amount of resources needed for the production. The resources would include manpower, money and time. So to get the profit, developers would have increased the price of the game. Again, to have all the characters and their other attributes in game would have added to the game’s size and need of hardware and other things. Again, the graphics of the game are so high that characters too needed to be of same graphic quality. So this all factor would have added unwanted content in the game.

Again, the graphics of the game are so high that characters too needed to be of same graphic quality. So this all factor would have added unwanted content in the game.
    Having all the characters in this game would have added to more bugs in this game. It is obvious that no game is created bug free. This whole thing would have invited the bugs and errors which later the gamers who want story themselves would have complained about. Also if story was introduced, the AI would have to be kept restricted. Now if I encounter pirates once, they will attack using the huge cannons. So I would be expecting of similar fashion in my next encounter with them. But in the second game, they will be bringing something new to fight with. This whole flexibility would diminish in the game.