Thread: Starting Spec Ops: The Line gives error "sync out of range" on monitor

Starting Spec Ops: The Line gives error "sync out of range" on monitor

When I am trying to run Spec Ops: The Line on my monitor that supports the max resolution of 1280x1024 then I am getting and error message saying "sync out of range" on monitor. It seems as if the game is starting with resolution higher than 1280x1024. So here I just wanted to know if there is a way by which I can set the resolution to 1280x1024 before starting the game?? I have tried using "-safe" and "-autoconfig" settings in Steam but they are not appearing to be helping and I am getting the same response. Any ideas what should I do?

Re: Starting Spec Ops: The Line gives error "sync out of range" on monitor

I have reached this thread while looking after a solution for this issue on the web as I am facing the same issue. I have come across people mentioning that we have to edit the SRengine.ini for resolution but when I am opening that file then I am not able to make out anything. Everything appears in some language, I don’t know which but I am not aware of the same. I just wanted to know that how should I edit the file?? Is there anyone out here who has got success in editing the file??? I just want to play the game as soon as possible and enjoy like others. Help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

As far s I am aware you just have to right click on the SRengine.ini file click on “open with” option and select notepad or WordPad from the list. In your case you default program might be opening it with some other program because of which you might be getting unfamiliar language script. Just try out editing in the way I have suggested and let me know if it working out for you. If you have any further issues with it then feel free to ask, best of luck.

So now I have tried opening it with notepad as well as WordPad and It is still opening in some unfamiliar language. I just wanted to know if you have really tried it at your end?? Or there is something wrong going on at my end?? Is there anything else that I can edit or change to get the game working??

I have a better solution for you guys, just follow the below simple steps to run the game:
    • First right click on 'SpecOpsTheLine.exe' and go to properties, if you have not changed the default path then it will be in "C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Spec Ops The Line\Binaries\Win32". You can also right click on the desktop shortcut.
    • When you get the properties windows opened you will find this in the target box "C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Spec Ops The Line\Binaries\Win32\SpecOpsTheLine.exe".
    • What all you have to do here is simply add " -windowed" without the quotes after C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Spec Ops The Line\Binaries\Win32\SpecOpsTheLine.exe and make it like this "C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Spec Ops The Line\Binaries\Win32\SpecOpsTheLine.exe" –windowed.
    • When you are done with the changes then run the game and change the resolution, after changing the resolution you can remove the " -windowed" from the target.

I have tried out changing
    C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Spec Ops The Line\Binaries\Win32\SpecOpsTheLine.exe
    to
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Spec Ops The Line\Binaries\Win32\SpecOpsTheLine.exe" –windowed
    but when I am changing the resolution to 1280x1024 then I am getting black bars at the upper and down part of screen. Is there anything I can do about it further???

Hey you can try using Flawless Widescreen utility, it is a tool which has been designed for fixing UltraWide/Surround/Eyefinity widescreen issues for some games. You can download the Flawless Widescreen utility from Widescreen Gaming Forum Website. It has a Repository based plugins along with autonomous updating feature.It requires minimal programming knowledge and does not utilize much of the memory. You need to have C++ 2010 Runtime (x86) for using Flawless Widescreen utility. So after downloading and installing it you can run it as Admin and use the below shortcuts for making the required changes.
    • Hotkey Enable: Ctl+Alt+Z (default)
    • Hotkey Add FOV: Numpad + (default)
    • Hotkey Minus FOV: Numpad - (default)
    • Closing Tabs: Right click> Close.

By default the FOV is set to 65 but you can change it accordingly to make the game playable with your monitor resolution. If just changing FOV is not helping then you can try Enabling FXAA in the nvidia control panel. The other thing that I wanted to share is that you can Skip Introduction Logo Videos just by deleting/moving the below files from Spec Ops The Line\SRGame\Movies\.
    • 2KDemo_Warn.bik
    • 2KLogo.bik
    • blackscreen_3sek.bik
    • Legal.bik
    • LegalScreen.bik
    • legal_DEU.bik
    • legal_ESN.bik
    • legal_FRA.bik
    • legal_ITA.bik
    • legal_logo_screen.bik
    • UnrealLogo.bik
    • YagerLogo.bik