Thread: Gear based PvP in The Secret World

Gear based PvP in The Secret World

I started playing The Secret World yesterday and I played for some hours. After playing the regular missions for some time, I thought of trying out the PvP fights available in this game. I being a beginner in this game jumped into a PvP fight where there were other people with high level of gears and powers. In my first fight itself, before even I could make any move, I was killed. This happened numerous times and left me frustrated. I wanted to know that is PvP fights gear based or level based. If it is gear based, then it might happen that I will never get to win any fight till I get myself some big guns. What do other people think about it?

Re: Gear based PvP in The Secret World

In The Secret World, the PvP fights are based on the gears. There is no restriction on players with less powerful gears not to be allowed to fight with players with higher level of gears. Anybody can fight with any other player. I know that powerful gears can do a good amount of damage to the lower level players, but since you get a good amount of control over you character in this game, you can also play it even without having powerful gear. All you need to do is to utilize the environment to your advantage. You can use the walls for taking cover or maybe use some barricade as cover. Also the terrain plays a great role. The person standing at lower height won’t be at comfort level when shooting the person at higher level. This is because person standing below won’t get proper view of player’s body that is standing at a height. But player standing on a height can get full view of player standing at lower height. So you have to build your own strategy to defeat the powerful ones.

I think that developers should put some restriction on the PvP fights, like people with high level gear will have to fight in a different PvP arena while ones with lower level gears will have to fight in a separate PvP arena. I had once played a MMO game called Gunshine, it is a browser based game. In this game, there are many areas which have PvP arenas. But every arena has a restriction of levels. For example, the first arena will support players of level 1 to level 9 only; another arena will support players from level 10 to 19 only. So because of this system, no discrimination was done. A level 1 player even though finds difficult to fight an level 9 player, but uniting with an level 6 player, he can beat him. I think that The Secret World to needs some restriction when it comes to PvP fights. I have seen many players being unable to fight in PvP because of the players with high level gears dominating the arena.

Gears don’t give some super power to the players in The Secret World. They just enhance the existing abilities and not the skills. If you have proper skills, you can even beat the player with most powerful gear. The Secret World is still developing and maybe in future the developers might apply some restrictions. But for now we have to play as it is designed. The game is new and I don’t think that many people have progressed enough to reach the level where they will get higher level of weapons. It might be in a couple of weeks that we will see the problem rising as the number of players with high level weapons will increase and new members will join in. At that time, the new players with low level of gears will become sponge bullets while the players with high level of weapons will dominate the PvP arena.

EA Games should fix the problem of unrestricted access to PvP arena quickly. Many new players once they join the game will try to try out more features available in the game. Since PvP is open to all, the new players will obviously try it out. If they get stomped buy the high level players every time they enter the arena, it will prove as a major turn off for them. They won’t even get to experience the slightest fun of PvP fights. To stop this from happening, some restriction is urgently needed.