Thread: Max Payne 3 Steam version game will not launch

OMFG Max Payne 3 Steam version game will not launch

I have downloaded Max Payne 3 Steam version game and really wanted to play it as soon as possible. After installing the game when I tried launching it then everything started up fine but just after few seconds it crashed. I don’t know what the issue all about is, I have asked some of my friends regarding the same and they had suggested me to update the driver for my video card. So now I have done the same and have made sure that I am updating it to the latest driver but even after that the game is crashing after some seconds of launch. Is there anything else that I can try out further to get the game started? I just want to play it as soon as possible so any help regarding the same will be highly appreciated.

Re: Max Payne 3 Steam version game will not launch

Since you have not mentioned your system specification I just wanted to know if you are quite aware of the Max Payne 3 system requirements.
    Lowest Tested Specs:
    • Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
    • Intel Dual Core 2.4 GHZ or AMD Dual Core 2.6 GHZ, or better
    • 2GB System RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 512MB RAM
    • or AMD Radeon HD 3400 512MB RAM

Low Recommend Specs:
    • Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
    • Intel Dual Core 3GHz or AMD equivalent
    • 3GB System RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce 450 512MB RAM
    • or AMD Radeon HD 4870 512MB RAM

High Recommend Specs:
    • Windows 7/Vista (32 or 64 bit)
    • Intel i7 Quad Core 2.8Ghz or AMD equivalent
    • 3GB System RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce 480 1GB RAM

or AMD Radeon HD 5870 1GB RAM
    Highest Tested Specs:
    • Windows 7/Vista (64 bit)
    • Intel i7 3930K 6 Core x 3.06 GHZ
    • or AMD FX8150 8 Core x 3.6 GHZ
    • 16GB System RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB RAM
    • or AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB RAM

I also wanted to know if you are getting any error message ? If yes then post the same here so that I can have a better idea of the issue that you are facing and will try to help you with it.

I am quite aware of the system requirement and according to the same my system should run the game without any issues:
    • Windows 7 64-bit
    • AMD Phen II X6 1100T 3.3 GHz
    • 8 GB Ram
    • Radeon HD 6870

As far as the error is concerned I am getting this “ERR_OS_VISTA: Service Pack 1 or higher is required to run the game"

If you are quite sure that your system is not lacking behind with the Max Payne 3 system requirements then you check out the below things:
    First make sure that you are having latest driver for your graphic card.
    If that’s not making any difference then check out and see if there is any kind of program that might be interfering with the game. You can disable all the other programs that might be running in the background and disable your antivirus while launching the game.
    • If you are using steam version then make sure that you are using the Steam play button, if you want then you can start the game by double-clicking the game icon but you will have to first make the Steam active.
    • You can try out Disable UAC (User Account Controls) and running the game as Administrator. For turning off the UAC just open Control Panel> User Accounts> Select 'Change User Account Control Settings'> and change slider to Never Notify. You should also make sure that the User accounts that you might be using for playing the game is having full Administrator rights.
    • If that does not help then you can try running the game in Compatibility Mode. For that right click on game icon>select Properties> Compatibility tab and set it to either XP, Vista, or 7 with service packs from the drop down box you will see and save the changes that has been made and try running the game after that. Since you are having steam version you will have to remove spaces from games installation path ad make sure that you have saved the game in C drive. You should also add a text file with the app id, after making these changes reboot your machine and try launching the game form Steam button.
    • If you are still not able to launch the game then check out registry entry, there are possibilities that Max Payne 3 registry key might be missing and so. In that case go to Max Payne folder in c:\steam\steamapps\common\maxpayne3\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\ and move the folder to C and then you will have C:\Max Payne 3\. When you are done with the same then rename the folder without any space in the name and then go to start> run? Type “regedit” without the quotes and check out for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Rockstar Games\Max Payne 3, when you get it then click on the key and change it to C:\MaxPayne3. After that run the PlayMaxPayne3.exe from c: and see if you are having any luck there.
    • You should also make sure that rather than the hardware requirement your system is fulfilling software requirement as well like Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (Note: 4.0 is not supported), Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1, DirectX 9 or DirectX 11.
    • If you are not getting any error when the game crashes then make sure that the NET Components are enabled, .NET 4.0 is disabled.
    • If these solutions are not making any difference then you can try using the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files. For that go to start> click All Programs> click Accessories > right click on Command Prompt and make sure that you are running it as administrator. After that type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and let the scans start. Don’t interrupt the process till it gets completed.