Thread: What game engines Game of Thrones use and does it supports DirectX 11?

What game engines Game of Thrones use and does it supports DirectX 11?

I just watched the gameplay trailer of Game of Thrones on internet and I was observing its graphics. The graphics seemed to be of low quality to me with least detailing on it. As compared to the latest games, that are available, graphics of this game are of very low quality. I wanted to know which engine was used for the development of Game of Thrones. Also I wanted to know if this game is compatible with DirectX 11 compatible hardware or not. Also by looking at the gameplay, it seems like this game must have been primarily designed for Xbox 360 or Playstation 3. I also wanted to know if the game is ported to PC from other consoles or not?

Re: What game engines Game of Thrones use and does it supports DirectX 11?

The engine used for the development of Game of Thrones is the Unreal Engine 3. This engine helps to provide a fine animation to the characters to bring alive the personality in it. The artificial intelligence that can be developed using the Unreal Engine 3 is of rich quality and brings a new life to the game. The quality of the particle effects help to design life like effects bring a new level of realism to the game. Also the audio provided is of rich quality as it provides accurate variation depending on the specific objects position in the game’s world. The rendering process of Unreal Engine 3 is of such quality that you can develop high quality of graphics for cut scenes and still of the game. Equipped with global illumination solver, Unreal Engine 3 can provide realistic lighting which can have factors like shadows, reflections and refractions. The designing of terrain is another good feature of this engine. Unreal Engine 3 is also equipped with Nvidia’s PhysX which provides realistic collisions of object. It also helps to render the cloth effects as in real. These all features of this engine have been used in Game of Thrones to provide the visuals to the game. This game is fully compatible with DirectX 11 hardware.

To develop realistic and highly detailed graphics like that in Crysis, the developers need to invest lot of money. Also the time required generating such quality of graphics, it takes a large amount of resources, man power and computing power. Game of Thrones as we know is developed by Cyanide. I haven’t much about this game developing firm and thus we can say that this game development organization is not as big and powerful as Electronic Arts and Ubisoft. According to me having high end graphics is not important for the game. In past no games had high end graphics, but the story would be great, the characters would be good, the gameplay would be good and also one could see character development. If you take a look at Crysis 2 which has over the top graphics with every detail in place where it should be in real life, then it lacks good story to match it. It is the usual alien invading earth crap. There is no character development as we repeatedly see limited type of aliens attacking us. Also the gameplay becomes linear and repetitive.

All we have to do is follow the paths designed and shoot anything that moves. But here in Game of Thrones, tough the graphic quality is low, it has a great story. The character development is nice, the gameplay is nice and we get numerous options to complete a task. There is also a good variety in the characters of the game. Maximum characters have a good background story which provides a good base to the overall story. So I think that all these good features of Game of Thrones can easily compensate for the lack of high end graphics.

Game of Thrones is not ported to PC version form any other console. It is developed separately for PC by the developers by keeping the controls and the configuration in mind. I know how bad the games that are ported to PC are in terms of controls. Recently I played the Ridge Racer Unbounded, which was ported to PC form other console. The controls it had were totally awkward. This game is programmed and has options to include the Xbox 360 controller as well as Playstation 3 controller even if you are playing it on PC.