Thread: Game of Thrones should be bought or not?

Game of Thrones should be bought or not?

I am big fan of A Games of Thrones TV series and I have followed it for a quiet long time and I haven’t missed much of its episodes. I was really excited when I heard that its video game adaption is soon to be released. I was so excited by the announcement I mean I will be actually be playing the characters in my favorite TV series. But when A Game of Thrones’ video game released, I purchased it and started to play and I was highly disappointed. It just had two characters that we can choose as our playable character. The bad part about it is that they both are male characters, Mors and Alester. I know that they are main character but also there are female characters in the TV series of A Game of Thrones who play a major role in the story. I accepted even this, but later on as I progressed in the game I realized that other female characters according to the TV series, which are Daenerys, Arya, Catelyn, Sansa, Arianne, Cersei, Brienne, Asha and others too are not given much importance.

To worsen the game much, there are least female units too in A Game of Thrones video game. I think that the developers of this game are a bunch of males who fail to notice the power of women in this world. Haven’t they played games like Tomb Raider, Mirror’s Edge or Saints Row the Third where the females have been given major role and also the main characters are females? The only presence of females in A Game of Thrones is some place where the scantily dressed girls are dancing and entertaining men. I have stopped playing this game and I would like to warn other fans of A Game of Thrones, especially girls that one should not buy this game. What do other people think about this?

re: Game of Thrones should be bought or not?

I played the demo version of A Game of Thrones and I am not going to buy this game. The main reason is the environment in which it is set. In the TV series the period in which the story takes place is around the medieval ages, which are 17th and 18th century. But in the game, from looks of the buildings and other such environmental objects, it seems like the game is set in period before medieval age. Also the land mass seems very odd as the rivers and the ponds seems to be cut in the place to accommodate water. The terrain looks like it forcefully designed and there is no feel of realism in it.

Just to add challenge in a map such that only a few numbers of units should go on the other side, a river is dug in between with a small wooden bridge over it. The second thing that disappointed me was the size of units. They are so small as compared to size of human beings that you actually can’t distinguish between its limbs. Also due to its size, when looking at them from highest view possible, it becomes almost impossible to distinguish between the types of the units. Also it seems that developers haven’t taken much effort in development of animations for the units. It looks like all the units have same movement style. The only difference is the type of attacks they do. When a large number of units from both sides, that is, players and opponents clash together at same place, it becomes impossible to find which unit is which, leave alone selection of specific single unit. On getting such a bad experience just by playing the demo version, I think I’ll skip the full version of this game.

I played the full version of A Game of Thrones up to the middle of the game and the most disappointing factor that I found was the gameplay. There is nothing like a strategy game should have in the gameplay of A Game of Thrones. Just to show the treachery, betrayal and false trust among enemies, developers have sacrificed the basic gamestyle a strategy game needs.

In every strategy game, the time and situations are divided into two types, which are war time and peace time. Peace time is when the kingdoms on the map are not in position to create a war and thus try to beat each other in economics and status. In war time, as we know obviously, kingdoms who are each other’s enemies get into full fledged war.

But in A Game of Thrones, the peace time is where one has to betray, backstab, spy or create a fake alliance with the enemy. I know that it sounds good and something new. But it is not like that when two nations or kingdoms are in enmity; they keep backstabbing every second or start spying straight away. There is some system and some technique, but here in A Game of Thrones, one has to send spies in enemy’s kingdom to spy upon the activities of enemy by infiltrating their headquarters and important buildings. One can also send an imposter to fake presence of some important unit of enemy. One can hire rogues to create riots and other such anti-social in enemy’s headquarters. Also sending assassins to knock down important units of enemy is part of the game. I know it sounds similar to the TV series of A Game of Thrones. But let me tell you when you play it, it feels like every other person is a spy, assassin or some rogue. There is no involvement of economics, where we can trade with the enemy and try to get him in loss. There is no way you can make peace even for short period of time. In war time, all you have to do is attack. The enemy doesn’t develop a strategy like attacking from multiple sides. The enemy just brings a large army and keeps attacking continuously from one side. Also the attacking format of the units is similar, that is, one type of unit will only fight efficiently against a specific type of unit.

I don’t know how many of you noticed but in A Game of Thrones there are too many spelling mistakes. The tutorials and the speech panels that appear occasionally in the game have many spelling mistakes that can be easily noticed. Also the voice over done for the characters in A Game of Thrones is of very poor quality.

First of all there are very less speeches and dialogues in audio format as most of them are in text format appearing in tabs. Also the limited sounds that are present in the game seem to be given by single person, whose voice has been later altered to suit different characters. This is what disappointed me the most in A Game of Thrones.