Thread: Is Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City a Tactical zombie shooter game?

Is Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City a Tactical zombie shooter game?

I think that Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City is a tactical shooter game just like Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six. I was playing this game online with some of my friends and I found that one can actually plan their moves before attacking. As I said that I was playing this game on multiplayer mode with my friends, we were in game with another group. The fight area was like a building with many rooms. I knew that opponent group was in the next room, so we planned to first throw a flashbang inside to blind the opponent. After this we open fired at the opponent’s group with as much firepower possible. The fight went on to become a melee fight as the opponents players started closing on us. While the fight was n progress, all of the sudden a huge horde of Zombies appeared from other entrances and possible way-ins of the room in which we were fighting. This was just like a Hollywood movie where two groups are fighting when suddenly third group comes in to interrupt. I found this thing interesting; I mean one can plan the attacks with types of weapons to use and then which opponent to mark can all be decided. After that one also has to plan the escape route if in case the opponent overpowers the player’s group. But this whole thing comes with a new twist, which are zombies. They are just random enemies who will not think how to attack, who to attack and when to attack. What do other people who played Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City feel about it being a Tactical Shooter?

Re: Is Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City a Tactical zombie shooter game?

Yes, I agree that though Resident Evil series was never meant to be focused more on assault and bullet storming way of fighting, but I think that Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City is one game in the series that can be played tactically. One needs to have a good team mates who will properly co-operate and stick to the plan that has been decided. I was playing Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City in the multiplayer mode, with some unknown people and I had a player who was of level 80. So by default he became the leader of our group. He told us to make an attack on the opponents group based on the guns we had. For example, one of us had a shotgun which as we know is good for close range attacks and that too in small spaces like the room in which we were, he was made to lead the group. As soon as we entered the room in which the opponents were already present, he burst opens the fire on one of them. The person on which he attacked couldn’t survive the powerful attacks and was killed. The player nearby him too got badly hurt as the attacks from shotgun spreads up to a short angle. Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City can be played in tactical way if proper team mates are available.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City can be played in tactical way if proper team mates are available.
    Proper team mates are necessary to play Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City to play it in the tactical way or else it becomes just like any other assault game. Once I was playing on the multiplayer mode once and we were five people in a group. Three of us were ready to play it in tactical manner but two of them went straight away to attack the opponents. Tell you, it was a disastrous event as they all got overpowered by the other five opponent players. They couldn’t even manage to damage even one of them till their half health. Also the firing sound between this fight brought out the zombies to the place and disturbing all the planned strategy.

Zombies are good twist that developers have introduced to the tactical games. They are like careless bots that don’t fear of being hurt or killing the opponents. They don’t retreat like human players nor do they have any strategy to attack or defend themselves. They just come out of multiple places, attack everything that moves without any mercy and that’s it, tactics gone down the drain and break team formation.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City is good as a tactical game but I think that developers need to make some few changes that will define the game in tactical game category. Did you notice that it takes two shots on the heads of human to kill them. Tactical games means that one hit on head and the humans should die on the spot. In Ghost Recon, one can even plan for headshots of the opponents. This means that once you enter the room you hit on opponents head to kill him. But here, once you hit on opponent’s head, he doesn’t die, but gets badly injured. This gives him/her enough time to retreat or start attacking. I think this need to be changed by the developers. Also the zombies need a large number of bullets to kill them. So if any zombie is standing on any narrow door or passage without leaving enough space, then it becomes impossible to escape them.

I don’t think that Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City is a tactical shooter game. For being tactical games, the guns should be properly designed on basis of their performance. Also the cover system in this game is bad. One cannot go prone or crouch behind objects that can be used as cover. Also when close to any wall, the player automatically sticks to it. It is fine till attacking the human opponents, but when attacking he zombies, they just attack even if when under cover. Also the zombies need around one to two complete magazines of a gun to be killed. Many times even the sounds of some object get cut in between the game. Like I know some of my enemy is around by hearing his footsteps, they get stopped suddenly even if he is walking.

The aiming method used in this game is also very bad. I don’t know if the game has this error or my internet network which gives lags. But I found that aiming system of this game is bad. Also combination of zombies that attack is not proper. There are many times, when the crimson head zombies arrive in large number. They are the one of the most powerful enemies in this game and can do bad amount of damage in a single strike. Also there is no bleeding like in previous games, which would weaken enemies after some hits. The infection also sends a message which disturbs the game. Also number of vaccines should be reduced as it doesn’t make the game challenging as a tactical shooter should be.