Thread: Hatred for Assist Gems in Street Fighter X Tekken

Hatred for Assist Gems in Street Fighter X Tekken

I have been playing Street Fighter X Tekken on multiplayer mode for some time now and I see that many people hate the Assist Gems. I know they provide a lot of damage and help reduce the damage taken by the user’s character. I am currently playing using Ryu as my character equipped with Super Easy Input Gem with two health gems. This combination provides me with damage of 400 to 600 easily. It helps me fight the higher level and professional players. I use the normal Xbox 360 controller and just by pressing one button, my attacks are chained together and thus the heavy damaging combo. It doesn’t mean that I am completely invulnerable and no one can hurt me. Yes, my character loses health and thus I am defeated many times. Also I am not using some cheat or method that is not provided by the developer. I still can’t understand why such hatred for Assisting Gems. This is the era of casual gamers; there are many people who play these games for sake of fun for just some minutes. You cannot expect them to master game like Street Fighter X Tekken in couple of minutes. Thus, assisting Gems comes into their use. I myself don’t play this game much. It is like once in a week during my holiday from college I get to play. Does anybody else to feel the same way about Assist Gems?

Re: Hatred for Assist Gems in Street Fighter X Tekken

I don’t agree with your opinion. Every game should maintain its style and standard. That’s what defines the game and its players. Now that developer has put the Assist Gems in Street fighter X Tekken it has changed this game from what it originally was. Without the Assist Gems, the player had to devise his own strategy. Executing them properly against different players was next big task. But now with Easy Input Assist Gem, developers have almost eradicated that part reducing the mental capabilities that needed to develop it. Before this development, even a small lag in the network would lead to a big damage as the opponent would close down on the player. But now this problem has been eradicated with the Assisting Gems and Auto blocking feature, the system will easily block the coming attacks even if the lags are noticed. If you see properly then the entire regular players who have been playing these games for a long time won’t use these Gems. Instead they prefer fighting the old way, which is doing every action manually. These players can even win against the players who use Gems for getting support.

Developers by providing the Assist Gems have provided the experienced players to exploit more options to get more action and easily accessible features. If anybody who has just started playing games like Street Fighter, Tekken or Mortal Combat, then I say that this Gems system will not help them improve their game. It will instead spoon feed them. It will give them a false idea of being professionals in such games. But when they will face the real tough competition in some tournament or online game, they will realize that it is tougher than the Gems method used in street Fighter X Tekken.

I too agree, it takes some serious skills to learn the blocking and attacking techniques that are to be used in such games. With this Gems system in Street Fighter X Tekken, one cannot achieve that skill. If Capcom calls this as development, then at this rate games from this genre will not have specialized players who can provide a good competition. If such bad development continues, then the day won’t be far when the only thing a player has to do is just view the fight and let the system do everything automatically. If anybody wants to play these games, then learning the perfect way to defend, attack and use tactics that too on perfect timing will be difficult.
    While playing online, if I come across someone who is using Assist Gems, then his entire moves seems to be like AI in the single player mode. All he does is move around and push some buttons for punches. The game is new, that’s why Assist Gems are working fine for the amateur gamers. Once the regular players understand their working then, it will not be of any use. It won’t be long till some tactic or technique will be discovered to break the working of Assist Gems.

Gears of War 3 too had two types of control, manual and automatic. There too such problems were observed. The developers then provided different connections to players who used automatic control settings and different network to the people who used manual control settings. I think that the developers of Street Fighter X Tekken should also provide such option which will divide the players using manual and automatic controls. This will help to keep the casual gamers, who play just for fun and don’t want to spend time mastering the game separated from regular and professional players who use Assist Gems for easier gameplay.

In Gears of War 3, players who used the automatic settings were allowed only to play some of the beginning levels and not every level. Due to this they were forced to master the manual controls and play the game in that mode to proceed in the further levels. Capcom should also apply such a technique for Street Fighter X Tekken which will put restriction on the players using the Assist Gems. The restrictions should be put on the good moves and complex moves. To use the cool moves, one should be forced to learn the manual way of fighting without any Assist gems.

The Assist Gems are banned from all the official tournaments that take place online or on EVO. So if anybody wants to practice the game for participating in the official tournaments, then one will have to practice playing this game online without Assist Gems. If you are playing Street Fighter X Tekken without Assist Gems and your opponent is using them, then it will provide you a good practice for online challenges and tournaments. So having Assist Gems is good for practice of professional players. I don’t think that once a person has learned to play very well; he must not be using Assist Gems. Instead he can drop them and use other Gems that will boost the actual tactics and techniques required in the game.