Thread: 1/4 block auto-block and 1/6 block auto throw techniques destroying Street Fighter X Tekken

1/4 block auto-block and 1/6 block auto throw techniques destroying Street Fighter X Tekken

I have been playing Street Fighter from very beginning. I have also played Tekken and other such fighting based games. But this is the first time I see that some game provides feature for Auto Blocking. This is just insane; I mean blocking an opponent’s attack was a skillful technique previously. But now, one has to just keep attacking while the defending part will be done by the system itself. Due to this, while playing on multiplayer mode; it becomes easy for the opponent to block the attacks. All one has to be moved back and the character will automatically block the attacks. Another bad thing about this game is that developers have introduced a Gem system, which will enhance certain ability. I first thought that it will enhance the player’s strength or boost the powers he/she has. But this is done to cover the weaknesses of the characters. Previously, if some character had low amount of health, then using Gem he can boost the health or start regenerating the health after it is lost. So now, regular players who know the weakness of the opponent player won’t be able to use that weakness against them.

Re: 1/4 block auto-block and 1/6 block auto throw techniques destroying Street Fighter X Tekken

I agree to the fact that Auto-block technique and adding gems to the abilities has destroyed the gameplay of Street Fighter X Tekken. This has reduced the difference between the professional players and amateur players. In the previous games, some layers needed to use lot of powers while some needed to depend on their strength of the characters. Some also used to use the mixture of powers and strength of their characters to win the fight. But in this game, with addition of Gems, this whole system has been disturbed. It is like developers have completely removed the part of fight which requires defensive tactics. This won’t make any difference to the characters that need to completely depend on the attacking type of fighting tactics. For Example, Blanka from Street fighter would be powerful than others as hid most of the tactics include attacking. Even for his own defense he can use electric shield on his body. IF the Gem is used on such character, then it would become difficult for other characters to defeat him. This means that there will be an obvious disturbance in the gameplay as characters using powers will have to rely on the attacking tactics which are not proper for them.

Re: 1/4 block auto-block and 1/6 block auto throw techniques destroying Street Fighter X Tekken

I usually play using Hwoarang for my fights. This character is one of the lower tiered characters in Tekken. It is bit difficult to defeat the higher tiered characters using Hwoarang as his attacking health is low and also the head-on attacks don’t do much damage. But the kicks of this character are his best weapon. With a large number of kicks and mixing those with different types of other kicks can easily be used to beat the higher tiered opponents. The best kick this character can provide is slow/telegraphed ground bounce overhead kick, which can reduce around 1/3 of the opponent’s health. This kick when used single, does an adequate damage, but when connected in string of attacks, they can create a hell for the opponent. But when an opponent is using an Gem which regenerates health or shield him from the big attacks, then at that time this move becomes useless.
    Also while performing the slow/telegraphed ground bounce overhead kick, opponent would hit Hwoarang. But now in this game, while performing the move, if the enemy hits my character, then Hwoarang abolishes the movements for the overhead kick and gets into the defensive stance. So in previous games, if I could perform the slow/telegraphed ground bounce overhead kick in just one or two tries, here in this game, I have to try around ten times to get it right. Also many times, I have to try from a distance so that the opponent doesn’t touch me an break the flow. Even if I succeed to use that move, then the damage inflicted is low as the opponent is using the Gem which provides shield or gem which regenerates health back.

I thought that this game would introduce more strategic and tactical gameplay than the previous game, but it seems that the developers are trying to make it more childish and easy. Any regular player like me won’t need to use any major skills or tactics as many of the critical features are automatically used by the computer. When I first saw the trailer for the new features that will be introduced, I thought that it will focus more on the development of character by providing options and functions to modify the moves, tactics and strategy of the characters. But, when I started playing, I am really disappointed with this new development as it just provides options to make all the attributes of an character equivalent even though they are of no use to the character. In previous games, with proper control of the character and appropriate knowledge of opponent’s character would help a player to outsmart the opponent and convert his attacks into disadvantage for opponent itself. But now with Gems that can negate the opponent’s attacks, one will not be able to use this intelligent moves and tricks. If once I use the counter attack on opponent who has such a gem, he won’t care much and just use the Gem. So all my skill will be wasted and I myself will get damage.

I think that Capcom has just made this game into a bullfight. You don’t need any techniques or brains to think when to attack, when to defend and when to use tricks to trap the opponent to and then finish him. This game just supports attacking gameplay without any tactics and need for defensive tactics. One can just use the defensive gems, close their eyes and just keep mashing the attacking buttons. This will too ensure that opponent gets damaged and you win the game.

I don’t think that the auto-block feature and the Gem have destroyed the gameplay of Street Fighter X Tekken in anyway. I rather think that it is a good development if seen from both point of view, player and opponent. As seen from Player’s point of view, when the auto block is used automatically by the system, you will notice blue sparks flying on the screen. This helps one to know what their weak point is and where they need to improve their gameplay. I mean, suppose you use an specific move and opponent before getting hit, tries to attack you. The opponent’s attack successfully hurts your character; at this point the system automatically blocks the attack by defending. So next time you know which move can be easily tackled or avoided by the opponent. So next time, one can avoid using the attack or move in same pattern. Instead of criticizing this new development, one can use it to improve their own game. Also when you see an opposing player going in defense which is obvious that it is automatically activated by the system, you can find which move of yours is triggering the opponent’s block. You can again avoid using it in same pattern.

I too think that this new features of Gem improving the attributes of a character and system auto blocking the attacks is beneficial. Previously, when these games were played in Multiplayer mode, the stronger and experienced players would easily defeat the weaker and amateur players. It would take time for the amateur gamers and the casual gamers to master the skills and control required for winning the game. But now with these new features, any amateur player can also compete with the professional players without having to master the game. This has reduced the gap between amateur players and the regular and the professional ones. Thus, I think that this development is a very good move by the developers.

when the auto block is used automatically by the system, you will notice blue sparks flying on the screen. This helps one to know what their weak point is and where they need to improve their gameplay
    I don’t think that anybody can learn anything about the skills and techniques required to master these games by taking a look at the timing of auto-block. The game is so fast that one can’t even see when the blue sparks fly. When I was new to these games, I learned to play it after facing numerous defeats. After being defeated, I realized what my mistakes were and where I was going wrong, improving myself in that field improved my game
    any amateur player can also compete with the professional players without having to master the game. This has reduced the gap between amateur players and the regular and the professional ones
    I agree with you that this new features will help to reduce the distance between regular and amateur players. It will help the weak players get a decent fight against the stronger players while also getting an knowledge about how regular players play. Weaker players won’t have to wait for long time to find other weak players with whom they can get a fight of equal intensity.