Thread: Poor performance of Risen 2: Dark Waters

Poor performance of Risen 2: Dark Waters

I have not started to play the game yet but I was just watching the videos of the game-play. I found that the commentator was continuously telling that if you want to get rid of the poor performance then you will have to lower the settings for the game. He had not mentioned about the PC specification that he was having but it was running with the resolution of 720p and all the setting were on medium. With this medium settings also, he was not able to get constant frame-rates. I am posting this here, just to know that If there are also other users who are facing the same problem like this and if yes then please post that what could be the workaround for this problem. I want to know this thing before I get the game. I am sure that this thread is going to be very useful (with good reply) for the people who are facing the same problem and cannot find any solution. Thank you.

Re: Poor performance of Risen 2: Dark Waters

If you are facing this problem then you can try to disable the anti-aliasing along with the help of vsync. vsync value indicates how many images to a monitor per second to be put on the screen. Here, the higher the frequency, the more stable / slow the image. This is the thing that you must consider before launching the game. Anyways, it will be better if they can release some DLC so that this problem can be resolved. Performance is the one of the main things of any game and if it comes with poor performance then no one will play the game. You can also try by turning off and on vsync. I am telling you this because there are many of the games with the same issue and that get resolved with the help of the vsync only. Other than this, PC specification is also one of the important things to consider. If your computer is lacking in terms of the minimum requirement of the game then you will be having problems like this. So please be on safe side by comparing your system specification and minimum system requirement of the game.

I am sure that there is some problem with the computer that he is using to play. I am also playing the same game and there is no problem with that. Though there are a few minor bugs but I am sure that it will be resolved with the new DLC release. Here is the requirement for this game. You can compare your system with this and see if you require having some upgrade in your system or not. I hope that this will be useful to you:

Risen 2 Minimum System Requirements

• CPU: dual core with 2.1 GHz
    • RAM: 2 GB system RAM
    • GPU: AMD Radeon 3870 or NVidia GeForce 8800 GTX (512 MB VRAM)
    • HDD: 5.5 GB hard disk space required
    • DX: version 9.1c
    • AUDIO: DirectX compatible sound chip
    • INPUT: keyboard/mouse or gamepad required
    • NET: connection for online activation required

Risen 2 Recommended System Requirements
    • OS: Windows XP (with Servicepack 2), Vista (with Servicepack 1) or Windows 7
    • CPU: dual core with 3 GHz
    • RAM: 4 GB system RAM
    • GPU: AMD Radeon 4890 or NVidia GeForce GTX260 (1 GB VRAM)

I have tested the game with the Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti and found that this is not working well with this video card. There is no problem with the other cards but with this card, you will face problem. I don’t know that what is the reason for this issue. So if you are using this card then there are more possibility that you will have problem with this. When I started playing the game then I was just getting 10fps and that makes the game unplayable. I hope that they will do something for this problem. I don’t think that someone is going to change the video card just to play this game. So it must be solved by the game side. If this is not then users with this card cannot have fun with this game.

I don’t think that it is because of the graphic card that you are using. The game is buggy and it is showing many of the issues like this. So it will be better for you to wait for next DLC to be released. If developers are aware of this problem then they will surely make some solution for this problem. Other than this checking for the system requirement is also a good option. But in my case, I am having more than the required system specification but then also facing many problems. So, one cannot say that these problems are due to lack of system requirement. This was the same problem with the earlier release games from them and they are continuing the same with Risen 2: Dark Waters also. Why they do not test the game properly before the release. If they continue in the same way then many od the users will migrate so other games available.

I am using the latest driver for Risen and below is the specification of the system that I am using.
    • Windows 7
    • Intel i3-2100 @ 3.10GHz
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB
    • RAM of 4GB 1333MHz

I have installed the risen 2 on my system with 10,000 RPM 500GB HD and there is same problem in my case. This game is not running smoothly for me. I am running this game at 1280x720. I have set all the settings to low and other than this I have turned off the AA. Also I am having the lowest settings for the graphics. While I start the game then I get about 45-60 FPS and this continues for about 30 seconds and after that it drop down to 30 FPS. This also continues for a few minutes and after that it goes down to 10-20fps and at the end it becomes totally unplayable. Is there some way to ask for refund? There is no problem with the Witcher 2 with the same settings and resolution. Witcher 2 is giving me 40-55 fps. I think that the game is optimized poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by DougWison View Post
    I have installed the risen 2 on my system with 10,000 RPM 500GB HD and there is same problem in my case. This game is not running smoothly for me. I am running this game at 1280x720. I have set all the settings to low and other than this I have turned off the AA. Also I am having the lowest settings for the graphics. While I start the game then I get about 45-60 FPS and this continues for about 30 seconds and after that it drop down to 30 FPS. This also continues for a few minutes and after that it goes down to 10-20fps and at the end it becomes totally unplayable. Is there some way to ask for refund? There is no problem with the Witcher 2 with the same settings and resolution. Witcher 2 is giving me 40-55 fps. I think that the game is optimized poorly.
    This is very common problem and there is one workaround for this issue as well. All you have to do is, just uninstall the Nvidia 3D driver from your computer. Once you are completed with the uninstallation then restart your system. Now launch the game again and you will not get that problem again. I have also gone through the same problem and for that I did the same. It solved problem for me. I hope that it will do the same for you as well. If you are having any further query then please reply back. We are always here to help you.

The problem of "tearing" is common to have all VG, independent of the monitor you use, and is most evident in the FPS, where the fast movements of the mouse amplify it. The v-sync is used to eliminate the problem, but when you turn the frame rate you get is equal to the refresh rate the monitor and 60fps at 60Hz, but the activation of vsync has another "defect", well more serious when the frame rate drops below 60fps. This automatically is sawn at 30 fps, if drops below 30fps then this is sawn to 20fps and so on (that is, to submultiples refresh rate). To avoid this adjustment, you must enable triple buffering from the panel of drivers the frame rate is left at 45, instead of being sawed in 30 (the maximum frame rate is always 60fps): for nVidia cards only works for OpenGL games (Doom3, Quake4, Prey, Quake3 and derivatives).