Thread: Fixes required for control settings in Ridge Racer Unbounded PC version

Fixes required for control settings in Ridge Racer Unbounded PC version

I have been playing Ridge Racer Unbounded on my PC for some days now. All these days I have managed to play using the bad controls set by the developers in the PC version. But as the difficulty of the game increases, I am finding it difficult to control my car using controls assigned by default in PC version. I brought my friends Xbox 360 controller to use it in my PC, but when game is started with it attached, Ridge Racer Unbounded just crashes. I think that the developers must provide a patch that will assign the default controls required for a racing game in a PC. What do other people think about this? Is there any other problem in this game that needs to be fixed?

Re: Fixes required for control settings in Ridge Racer Unbounded PC version

The game has badly been ported from Xbox 360 to PC and its results can be seen in key mapping of the game. Even in the settings you see presets provided for key controls of this game are displayed using Xbox controller. This causes a great problem and consumes lot of time when I want to know which key from Xbox 360 controller is designated to which key on the keyboard. Yes, developers should provide a patch that will make it easy for the PC gamers to recognize the keys that are to be used in this game when played using a keyboard.
    The problem regarding the crashing of game when the Xbox 360 controller is used is due to the type of emulator computer uses to recognize the gamepad. The normal Xbox 360 controller connected using USB uses DirectInput. Game when ported from Xbox 360 didn’t get the setting changed for using it. It still needs XInput emulator which Xbox 360 uses. Thus due to conflict of settings, this game crashed when external controller is used.

The first time I played an Xbox 360 ported game was when I played Fifa 11. It too was actually developed for Xbox 360 and then ported to PC. But developers EA sports, provided a good option, when game was started, it would generate a window where you will be able to view and set keyboard keys corresponding to Xbox controller keys. I think that developers of Ridge Racer Unbounded should also provide similar alternatives. This will make the game lot more comfortable. Also the in game instructions show Xbox 360 controller keys like A,B,X and Y. It should also be changed, instead of it user set keys must be displayed.

With three platforms majorly used for gaming Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and PC, it is obvious that developers will try to develop games for all these platforms for increasing their sales. Now you can expect every developer to do such coding for converting controllers from console to console. Many big developers like EA games, Ubisoft, Activision and so on have resource & man power to invest in such work. Ifyou expect such development from them then it is fine. But many lower value developers like Deep Silver don’t have such capabilities. So you can’t expect them to make such developments. Also many future games face such problems. That is why I think that almost of the gamers should purchase an Xbox controller for PC, so that they don’t have to face such problems with other games. Being an hardcore gamer, I say that some games are fun to play using Xbox 360 controller instead of PC. The developers provide the game for PC because they know not many people will be able to afford brand new Xbox 360.

With so many games releasing these days and most of them being ported from one console to another, I think that one should be able to use almost all types of controllers, from Keyboard to Xbox 360. Last time I had participated in a gaming competition. It was for Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 which also is a game ported from Xbox 360to PC. When I entered the competition, I saw that many users had Xbox controller while I was about to play using keyboard. So I think complaining about a game not having option for keyboard is wrong. Yes, Ridge Racer Unbounded does not accept Xbox 360 controller for PC needs fix.