Thread: Ridge Racer Unbounded has a drift button and no option for playing 12 players online

Ridge Racer Unbounded has a drift button and no option for playing 12 players online

I have just started playing Ridge racer Unbounded and find drifting very hard in this game. Usually other racing games have a very simple drifting process, one has to hold the button for handbrake and then turn the car left and right. Enough control is needed so that the car doesn’t crash into walls or other cars. Bu I am unable to do it in this game. My drift always stops the car or gets me killed by opponent. Also I was trying to play an online game, but the most number of opponents allowed were 8, while in offline mode one can play races with 12 opponents. Does someone else find this odd, drifting is meant to be done in this game but it is hard, online mode has less opponents to play with than offline mode?

Re: Ridge Racer Unbounded has a drift button and no option for playing 12 players online

Ridge Racer Unbounded has simplified the drifting techniques than other racing games. You need not use brake and turn, instead you can keep the drift button pressed and keep changing the direction button using the direction keys. Yes, this game has a drift button. I suppose the developers don’t want players mastering the skill of perfect drifting. The game is fast paced and quick. Intense drifting would have robbed this fun and made player slow down their cars resulting in losing the pace and demolition fun.

Re: Ridge Racer Unbounded has a drift button and no option for playing 12 players online

This is no fun, racing games should have dedicated controls for drifting. There is no fun in drifting which doesn’t involve skills of using more than one button. Drifting is fun when mastered. Also in other games, when one drifts, the car loses much of the speed gained. But in this game, after drifting the car maintains its speed which is so unrealistic. Also using these simplified drifting techniques, the power bar can be often filled and enemies can be smashed. Racing games have the drift function to add challenge, but here it is just for the purpose of fun and filling the power bar.

Developers of this game wants to attract casual gamers too. Casual gamers don’t play much video game so expecting them to master the drifting skills in game is wrong. But a racing game can’t even be deprived of drifting for sake of casual gamers, so the simplified version of drifting.

I know that the offline mode of the game allows one to play with 11 opponents, which are total of 12 players. This gives more opportunity to create destruction. But in online mode, one can only play with 7 opponents; that is total of 8 players. The main reason for this must be that this game must not be having large number of online players. So getting 12 players for a single race will become difficult. One cannot add bots as that would be equivalent to offline mode. Also if 12 players were allowed, then waiting for 12 members to join the race would have taken a long time. If while this accumulation of 12 players for a race, if a single player rejects the access in this race, then the server again has to make the remaining 11 players till some players enters this race. To save this waste of time, the number of players is restricted to 8.

If 12 players would have been allowed to play together online, then the graphical content that includes, 3D models, textures, animation and visual effects to would have increased. Again to keep it changing dynamically would have required a large amount of data transfer. This overall content would have needed to have a very high speed internet with all the players. So the number of players must be restricted to 8 only.