Thread: Suggestions for playing Ridge Racer Unbounded in online mode

Suggestions for playing Ridge Racer Unbounded in online mode

I was reading the specifications of Ridge Racer Unbounded on Steams website and it had mentioned in internet requirements as ‘Broadband Internet connection’. I wanted to ask if we to keep the game continuously to internet or does the game need internet just for uploading high scores and other details on its server. In other words, how frequently does it need to connect to internet? I have a Broadband internet connection at my home which has limited data download plan, so if the game needs to download many times from internet then I won’t be playing this game. Also I use laptop, so during traveling I may not have internet connection, so at that time, will I be able to play the game?

re: Suggestions for playing Ridge Racer Unbounded in online mode

This game does not require continuous connection of internet. It just needs internet for the first time to verify the authentication of game and register itself on the Ridge Racer server. It later checks for any new updates that might be released by the developers for this game. This check for updates will be done every time you start the game. If any update is detected, it will prompt you to download it, you can even ignore it. This whole process will require a few bytes of data to be transferred between your system and the server.

I remember buying Splinter Cell: Conviction which had a system which would make a backup of all saves that you make while playing the game on its server. This would take a long time to start the game as it would first check its server for your saved games and other data. Again loading the saved game would become tough as it would check the servers and then start loading. Also checking for updates would take long time. Ridge Racer Unbounded though demands Broadband connection, I don’t think it will require it to use continuously.

If you need to play multiplayer mode of the game online, then you will obviously need to have a good Broadband Internet connection. In online mode you can play the game with other people in world having this game or challenge you friend for a race. You can create custom tracks and upload them online.

Internet connection is required in this game to connect the game to the servers for checking games authentication and updates for the game. Many people have complained that this game has some problem when it comes to online connection. It shows that it is establishing a connection with servers and doesn’t stop. If you switch off the internet, the game won’t start as it won’t be able to connect the server. So I suggest that if you don’t have an internet connection with good speed then avoid this game.