Thread: Ridge Racer Unbounded comes in size of 1.5 GB

Ridge Racer Unbounded comes in size of 1.5 GB

I saw the trailer and the gameplay videos of Ridge Racer Unbounded. I liked the trailer and so I planned to buy it from Steam. I started the download and saw that the total size of the download was shown as 1.5 GB. I was first surprised about the size and thought that it must be part of the whole download. I asked my friend who had already downloaded the game about the size and he told me that 1.5 GB game actually works properly without any glitch or any part missing. How is that possible, most of the game nowadays range from size of 6 GB to 8 GB? Does anyone know how this game works in such small size?

re: Ridge Racer Unbounded comes in size of 1.5 GB

It must be the cloud version of the game. The 1.5 GB setup file must be providing only the basic interface or basic files of the game. The missions must be played on line. The small file must have set the city in your system. In the game when you select a car, the data files of the respective of car will get downloaded in your system. 1.5 GB is the size of the indie games. From the looks of the game in trailer and screenshots the graphics look too high to be fitted in a 1.5 GB file. I think they must have reduced the quality of the textures. The occlusion pass which creates the illusion of artificial depth must be reduced.

I think that it must be the ripped version of the game. They must have reduced the music files, the texture quality and some extra things in the game. Many compression techniques are now designed to compress the games beyond imagination. I had played the Burnout Paradise which came in setup of size of 3 GB. The world and the graphics of the game were distinctively impressive as compared to other games of same kind at that time. The minor effects in the game were also highly detailed. All the sounds, effects and textures came within 3 GB which on expanding went up to 6 GB.

Even Skyrim has such good quality of graphics and sounds. Even the world is so huge. To add to this, the dynamic gameplay adds to the increase in quality. The size of the game is just 6 GB.

Fuel is the game that has its name in the Guinness Bork of Records for the biggest gaming interactive world on any console. When I downloaded that game, the setup file was of size 4 GB. After installation, it became of size 6 GB. The graphics and the other features of the game were excellent but still it was of small size. There is nothing like cloud system for Ridge Racer Bounded. The whole game that comes in 1.5 GB works offline as it works on Xbox 360. Rage was one game which had world small but the size of the game was 21 GB. They used some megatextures technique which gave it such a big size.

The best thing that makes the Ridge Racer Unbounded so small in size and easy to compress is its texture resolution. The texture that is used in designing of environment of the game is merely of resolution 256x512. This small size texture doesn’t occupy much space and becomes very easy to compress. The best part of the developers did with these textures is the reflections and the shine it gives. The developers need appreciation for this.