Thread: Missing multiple camera options in Ridge Racer Unbounded

Missing multiple camera options in Ridge Racer Unbounded

I am playing the Ridge Racer Unbounded and during the gameplay I noticed that there is no other camera other than the basic behind the car camera. There is no other camera that other racing games provide. I have no problem with the missing cameras, but only find it odd that a racing game without multiple cameras. Does anyone find it odd too that a racing game doesn’t have multiple cameras?

Re: Missing multiple camera options in Ridge Racer Unbounded

Yes I find it odd to that only camera available in the game is the behind the car camera. The default camera catches the nearest rear point of the car without moving much from its place. The distance of camera only changes when nitro boosts are used. During this period, the camera slides back to accommodate the fast arriving screens of the game. I don’t miss the other cameras as I rarely used them.

Other than the behind the back camera, the only camera that seems to have been used is the replay camera that comes when you smash or destroy a car or some big building or structure. This is the camera that I like the most. I don’t know how it works but the developers have done a good job programming this camera. The camera properly slows down the frames where the most exciting crash takes place. It also slows down when a big structure destroys the opponent cars. I really like this camera and just to activate it, I smash the opponent’s cars.

The developers should have provide the bonnet camera, it adds to the experience of being able to drive from the driver’s seat. I play most of the racing games using this camera. It gives the closest view of the opponent and let one enjoy the destruction and the game in very close up mode. The developers should introduce a patch to enable the other missing cameras. It also increases the accuracy while driving. It lets me see if the distance between two cars or objects is appropriate for my car to pass, this lets me decide if I should enter it or not. I use the bonnet view for accuracy while driving.

The size of the game is just 1.5 GB before installation. If the developers put the cameras which provide the close-up views of the car, then they will have to write extra code to generate it. This will add more memory space to the game.

The size of this game is so less because the textures that are used in the game are of very low resolution. The developers have done an excellent job to manage such good quality of graphics using such low resolution textures. These textures seem good only when viewed from a distance. If cameras which provide close view of one’s car or opponent’s car are provided, then the low resolution of the texture will be easily noticed. This will spoil the perspective of the player towards the new technique of developing textures. Maybe this is one reason to avoid close-up cameras.

I would have loved to play the game if the driver’s seat view would have been provided. I would have loved to play the game if the steering wheel and dashboard was visible.

If the dashboard and steering wheel were included in the game, then It would have to be applied on every car. The developers can’t just use a same steering wheel or dashboard for every car so they would have made a different model for every car. Now this all additional features would have added to the total space of the game. Also as mentioned in one of the above replies, the game is completely made on low resolution textures, the texture that would be used to design the interiors couldn’t be made in low resolution as the nearness of the camera will reveal the pixels in it. This would have proved to be a sudden change in developers work flow. I mean, changing from low resolution textures to high resolution textures would have needed the developers to be sidetracked from their work flow and techniques. So no drivers view is possible and thus the camera.

The game mainly focuses on the destruction of the environmental objects and opponent’s car. If the driver’s view or bonnet view was provided, then the player would enjoy less of the destruction that the developers have taken efforts to make. Also the game doesn’t need much accuracy while driving as most of the objects and cars tend to break when crashed in.