Thread: Ridge Racer Unbounded has very poor connectivity and control support

Ridge Racer Unbounded has very poor connectivity and control support

I brought Ridge Racer Unbounded for PC and I installed it. After installation all my expectations regarding the game were proved false. The game looks good only in trailer. Maybe it works well in PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, but in PC the game seems really bad. The aspect ratio of the game is very badly set, the controls for car are badly designed and also the extra ports for joystick and other such controllers is bad. Did anyone else too think that the game is bad to play in PC?

Re: Ridge Racer Unbounded has very poor connectivity and control support

After I installed the game in PC, my first impression was, ‘why is the game looking so squashed?’ I went into the options section to see if the aspect ratio of the display is proper or not. My monitor is of aspect ratio 4:3 and the game is designed to work for displays with aspect ratio of 16:9. So that is why the game’s graphics seem to be squashed. My friend who has a monitor of aspect ratio 16:9 also bought this same game and it gives better graphics on his monitor. The developers of Ridge Racer Unbounded have provided option for changing the aspect ratio of the game, but it is of no use as the option only fits the game properly in the screen and does not optimize the graphics for the screen.

I have a multi-monitor system at my home on which I play the games. Till date I have played many games in my multi-monitor system but no game runs as bad as Ridge Racer on my multi-monitor system. Again the problem of improper Aspect Ratio of the game creates the problem on multi-monitor system as the graphics stretch badly. According to my experience in gaming, almost all the modern games have functionality to work properly on multi-monitor system. The games that are designed for multiple platforms have this function built for its PC version. But I think that the developers of Ridge Racers have forgotten this part and developed the game.

The controls of the game is the worst part. The instructions and the menu of the game show the keys in A, B, X & Y format which is for Xbox 360. The keys are not shown according to the keyboard controls, that is, alphanumerical format. This makes it very tough to follow the instructions. One can view the key configuration from the control panel of the game that is just added in the PC version. This control panel shows the key mapping of Xbox 360 to computer’s keyboard. I had to print the whole form and paste it on the wall adjacent to my PC to remember which key of Xbox 360 controller denotes which key on keyboard.

I know the key configuration is very bad in this game. The only closest option to change the key configuration manually is by selecting the presets of key combination that is available in the options. It really doesn’t help but only gives an option to try different keys which can be comfortable.

Another big problem that this game faces is that of not being able to connect with the drivers set that contains the steering wheel, gearstick, brake and acceleration pedals. Almost all the racing games have option to connect ECCI wheel. I have played racing games back since last 12 years and almost every game worked with my ECCI wheel. It seems that the developers of Ridge Racer Unbounded haven’t developed their game to work with the ECCI wheel. This is very bad for a racing game. They should deliver a patch or an add-on that will enable the ECCI wheel.

I have a Logitech Driving Force GT which I use to play the racing games. But the game doesn’t accept this controller. So now I‘ll have to buy a Xbox 360 controller to play this game.

The game also has problem with its connection to internet. I installed the game and started the game and it has reached the window where it is trying to connect to internet to update the score and check for any update available. But this connecting message seems to go on and on. It doesn’t stop even after I let it work for 15 minutes. I switch off my internet connection and try again, but the game asks for internet connection as it wants to check for updates. The game is stuck on update window where it does not show any activity of downloading anything. When I disconnect internet, it doesn’t allow me to start the game.

I have started the game and played for few hours. Now I thought of trying the game online with other players and so I tried connecting it. It is taking such a great amount of time to connect to internet that I have lost my interest in multiplayer mode of this game. I think that I’ll just finish the story and proceed to play another game. It took me around 6 minutes to get it connected to online mode, whereas other games barely take 1 minute to get connected.