Thread: Getting bad performance with Nvidia graphic cards (DX11 shader 5) in Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of The Samurai

Getting bad performance with Nvidia graphic cards (DX11 shader 5) in Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of The Samurai

Hello friends, just want to which are the problem which are been occurring while playing Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of The Samurai in Direct X 11, actually I am getting graphical and performance problems with GTX 560 on 270.61 drivers, so if you are people are knowing something about it, then please tell me about it, so that I can be aware and also other might be knowing what to do with it. So please tell me, thank you.

Re: Getting bad performance with Nvidia graphic cards (DX11 shader 5) in Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of The Samurai

I have seen one problem such that when you are switching from medium to high shadow the feature reduces overall fps by 33 such that from medium to ultra by 44 theresa on most ATI graphic cards it incurs only a less than 10 performance penalty

Re: Getting bad performance with Nvidia graphic cards (DX11 shader 5) in Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of The Samurai

Even get problem with intense automatic downgrading of graphic features even for cards which are 1GB or 1.25GB VRAM while ultra textures are chosen, except game works seems fine when 2 GB specify VRAM in preferences.script file. These troubles appear to have an effect on Nvidia cards more often than ATI cards possibly only as 6950/6970 cards mostly have 2GB VRAM. When you get it then you have few questions in mind that, whether the VRAM estimation is correct? If opinion is correct, why does it seem to work anyway by manually prime the VRAM size? why the downgrader does not just downgrades textures to 'high' or possibly medium, for 768MB cards, which has the most impact on VRAM usage but chooses instead to downgrade all kinds of other options like
    • Downgraded Anti-Aliasing to 0
    • Downgraded Shadows to 3
    • Downgraded Shadows to 2
    • Disabled HDR
    • Downgraded Sky Options to 2
    • Downgraded Water Details to 2
    • Disabled Distortion

Moreover tesselation may not work. Anyhow in the benchmark game settings, I tested twice with tesseletion on and off and would be unable to see any contrast in appearance. It is possible that tesselation is not utilized in that benchmark scene, utilize is so light that it doesn't demonstrate in the numbers (most unbelievably following seeing the sentiment), tesselation is just utilized in mixture with different choices which weren't prepared at the same time as my test runs and tesselation tries not to work regardless with the 560+270.61 drivers).

I have some more problems which are been listed as below:
    • Blurring of menu/UI texts in DX11 mode but it does not happen in DX9.
    • Transparent smoke
    • No AA for character models in some location.
    • Incomplete or totally missing unit markers/highlights it appears to occur with MSAA only.
    • It takes long loading times, even when starting the game in DX11 mode compared to DX9 mode.
    • No or only incomplete unit selector/highlight

When I am playing it getting very low frame rates in naval battles and also in Direct X 10/11. Direct X 9 does not appear to be affected. Trouble also seems to have an effect on generally SLI configurations. In my opinion, on 560 TI I don't have huge performance but a great deal better when what people have reported in the thread below with faster cards than mine. So it either just effects SLI configurations or some GPUs.

I am using MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II/OC card; game keep on getting clear of HDR, AA and Shadows and it is telling that 105 mb is over. I am also having MSI Afterburner and it showed that I am hardly using 721mb maximum so I decided to trick the game into thinking I am having 2 GB of VRAM. I simply ran then after that benchmark with exact settings 1400 x 900 ultra through MLAA AX4 and the whole thing is working on and getting 4 fps which is increase to 44.1fps total.

It slows down to a creep downgrades and after that it crashes in a while when I end turn. I am able to play few turns previous to this happens. Even it keep on crashes during time of exit showing me DEP error 100% of time so settings are not at all saved. So it is having long loads, not able to save graphic settings and crashing on exit. It is a really a pain exiting each few turns and re-launching the game.

There are very few developers so far who have really made an effort to properly implement DX11. Dragon Age 2 and World of Warcraft use DX 11 but their games crash with it turned on so users must go back to DX 9.