Thread: Nvidia Optimus GPU's with Total War: Shogun 2

Nvidia Optimus GPU's with Total War: Shogun 2

Hello friends, I was experimenting a little with Nvidia GeForce 555m 1GB DDR5 Optimus system support GPU with Intel HD graphic included graphic chip and Total War: Shogun 2 graphic performance. Well most of people know that optimus system is using an Intel HD integrated graphics chip as a primary card joint with secondary Nvidia GF 555M 1 GB DDR5 which is theoretical to be control on with high performance applications. Well main concept behind it is that to save power for laptop but it really causing plenty of problems for users willing to run their games with this system. So what you people have to say about it. Thank you.

Re: Nvidia Optimus GPU's with Total War: Shogun 2

The game just distinguishes Intel HD chip as a standard game card in game choices menu, rather than GeForce 555M and there appears to be no way inside or remotely to compel the game to distinguish the Nvidia GPU as a substitute for Intel HD chip. This happens yet when it is arranged to run the provision with the Nvida GPU in windows or bios and there is no approaches to constrain incapacitate the Intel HD chip as this could cripple the Nvidia GPU moreover (subsequent to they are interconnected).

Admitting that the game just recognized Intel HD in game alternatives menu, the game itself is run with Nvidia GPU, this is confirmed as the recreation demonstrates under "requisitions utilizing GPU" when I alt-tab to windows around the same time as diversion. I experience all in all grave realistic minimizing owed to truth recreation just recognize Intel HD chip which just goes with 500mb VRAM. Yet when I changes preferences.script document with revamped VRAM esteem as recommended here on the discussions, STW2 still overrides it and set it to a default 500mb esteem (so this doesn't comprehend anything).

Interesting enough there has been one game following I played the diversion for concerning a hour (campaign map as well as actual-time fight), when I retreat the game and restarted it to root out to my astonishment that game in fact distinguished my Nvidia GPU and permitted me to set up ultra textures and whatnot. I needed to see the benchmark on topmost conceivable determination and I left the game with a specific end goal, which is to run it in a benchmark mode, when I got and lapse inform that VRAM is over plan and downsized my settings. Following I retreated into realistic choices again, I might see that just Intel HD card is distinguished again and it has been similar to this since the time that. To me this proposes that the game is equipped to distinguish my Nvidia GPU under certain conditions.

Yes unfortunately no fix is turning out from Nvidia side thus far. I see numerous folks are grumbling concerning the Optimus based cards so I trust they are working to address this issue. The most new drivers are not Optimus perfect. Be that as it may I trust CA can moreover work something out to preferable underpin those frameworks or dd some sort of fix such as choice to define your realistic card yourself or at any rate gives a tip how to overcome minimizing or preferred turn it off totally. Could be fantastic to catch some remarks from CA on this issue simultaneously so we would be able to in any event comprehend it preferred.

I believe that I have found out a trick what appears to be a solution for trouble. So far I only tested it 3 times and I didn’t restart my computer, need to run more tests on this to verify it. In order for the game to be familiar with Nvidia GPU and don’t lower graphics you require to utilize a small trick. What I did as recommended that edited the preferences script file with a gfx_video_memory at "2147483648" which is same to 2GB VRAM. After done with that then went to graphic options and not only Nvidia will accepted, but also game thought I really have a 2GB or RAM, so it didn’t lower any of graphics. Make a note that this "trick" didn’t work for me when I used 1GB value but in this case game didn’t recognized Nvidia card and didn’t recognize the 1GB setting too. Well attractive as much as necessary when I went out and restarted the game I observe that game again didn’t recognize Nvidia card and default card was put as Intel HD chip with 500m of VRAM.

I checked the log and when my Nvidia GPU was distinguished none of my graphics moved toward getting downgraded. I moreover recognized that diversion is well playable on my framework with ultra settings with the exception of for AA on easy, texture separating on flat and shadows on level. When I attempted to max every little item the game was not at playable fps and truly moderate. Again my framework is Intel Heart i-7 2 GHz, 8GB DDR3 Slam, Nvidia GT 555M 1 GB DDR5 Optimus.Since you have comparable framework and encounter same situation, you need to upgrade the preferences.script without a doubt before you begin up an game with a worth of "2147483648" (2GB VRAM). You could need to set the design onto every part of again every time you begin the amusement, but that’s a little cost to pay for in fact having the capacity to utilize your GPU and appreciate the game.

Following restarting computer and running few tests I grasped something enticing: Following you utilize this "trick" and the game distinguish Nvidia GPU when I retreat I see the preferences.script document has a quality "-2147483648", as a substitute for "2147483648". All more in game that I erase the, recovery and begin game, it begins and doesn’t inquire which DirectX to utilize and distinguishes just Intel HD chip again. When passageway and go open the preferences.script again, I could probably see that the worth has been reset mechanically to "562000000" (500MB VRAM). When I alter this quality again with "2147483648", and begin the recreation it inquires again which DirectX to utilize as though it was beginning for first time. This is the mark Nvidia GPU can be distinguished with 2000MB of VRAM. So essentially this trick works just each second time I begin game and mark that Nvidia GPU should be distinguished is that the amusement inquire to select which Directx to utilize again.

What is the file name you have edited? Where is the path to the file? I have the same problems because I am using a laptop Dell Queen N5110 with core i5 2410M, VGA Optimus Nvida GT525M with 1 GB dedicated memory and 4GB ram. In Graphic tap on Game Options it only shows: Video Card Nvidia GT525M and Video memory size only 535MB. Are you playing game with all ultra? I only need Ultra size of unit army

ok guys i found a definituve solutions for this.
    find the file preferences.script.txt .

find parameters "gfx_video_memory" put the right amount of memory for ur gpu.
    for me 1GB = to 1073741824.

find "gfx_gpu" parameter put the name of u graphic card for me
    "NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M".
    gfx_gpu "NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M"

u can find the real name to put in device manager.

that's all

save the file and run the game

Quote Originally Posted by gildasz View Post
    ok guys i found a definituve solutions for this.
    find the file preferences.script.txt .

find parameters "gfx_video_memory" put the right amount of memory for ur gpu.
    for me 1GB = to 1073741824.

find "gfx_gpu" parameter put the name of u graphic card for me
    "NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M".
    gfx_gpu "NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M"

u can find the real name to put in device manager.

that's all

save the file and run the game
    The only pref file i could find are the 4 benchmark ones, what folder is the normal file in?

thanks for help

here is the path to pref file

C:\Users\Gildas\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Shogun2\scripts