Thread: Steam doesn’t start in offline mode

Steam doesn’t start in offline mode

I have an AT&T connection at my home. I tried downloading a game from Steam but then the internet connection got terminated. Steam offered me option to download it offline, but it to fail. How do I continue the game after the connection is restored?

Re: Steam doesn’t start in offline mode

I too am having a similar problem with Steam. Whenever I try to download any game using Steam, it shows a message saying ‘updating Steam’. This update never completes and I need to kill the Steam from Task Manager. Before this problem occurred, I had two games on download using Steam. Now the Steam is giving problem due to which the Steam is not getting updated neither the process of update is being reverted. I can’t re-install Steam as I will lose the progress of download.

I too have experienced similar problem in past. At that time I contacted Steam which turned out to be best option as they provided me solution to the problem. The solution was to disable the automatic update of every game. The automatic updates will first contact the Steam server and then start updating your game. So the multiple requests for updates and download requests for game from Steam causes conflicts which results in improper working of Steam client.

For making Steam client work efficiently on offline mode, you need to have high speed internet. The low speed internet can’t handle multiple updates and so it gives error. The Steam client expects an action to complete within an estimated period of time, but the low bandwidth doesn’t let this work properly and thus it gives errors.