Thread: Things need to be fixed in Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

Things need to be fixed in Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

I am playing Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City for a couple of days now and I found one thing in the game that should be changed. The AI in the game is designed so that it will only attack the player’s character. Even if his/her teammates are near, they will attack the main character. I find that really annoying. This increases the difficulty and also destroys the concept of zombies. Every movie and the game that belongs to Resident Evil series has shown the zombies as brain dead creatures. They attack whoever is near to them. Even the opposite faction attacks the main character instead of shared attack. Does anyone else think that this needs to be changed?

Re: Things need to be fixed in Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

The game’s AI is designed right. The enemies don’t directly attack your team mates. Your team mates get hurt when they come in direct line of attack and then be it bullets or zombie attacks. Moreover, your teammates aren’t programmed to pick up health boosting objects. If the enemy would have attacked in a shared manner, that is equal attack on every team mate, then the difficulty of the game would have been reduced. To balance the difficulty, the developers would have to put more enemy units in the world. More enemy units means more animation, more animation means more hardware requirements. So to avoid this entire problem, such type of AI is designed.

I think the developers should have provided options for commanding the teammates around. This would have compensated to the function of AI attacking only one person. Also to make this problem to be not noticed easily, the team mates always remain behind the user’s character. So this makes it look like as if the enemies first see the main character and start attacking. I agree that the team mate can’t revive health in any way is a bad option. The developers should have designed such that when a teammate goes to revive his health, he won’t be available. This would have also increased the difficulty a bit.

The hit indicator is placed on the health bar. Unlike every game, Operation Raccoon City doesn’t have hit indicator on crosshair or the screen boundaries. In action games when our character gets hit, boundaries become red or the crosshair color changes to denote the hit. But in Operation Raccoon City, it is difficult to see if we are getting hit. In middle of fight, one has to concentrate on crosshair and on enemy position. No one notices the health bar. After the fight is over, one see how health has been lost. But it is difficult to lose focus from enemies to see health bar for hits that are being taken. This is really annoying.

One thing that I really find annoying about Operation Raccoon City is that it is difficult to bleed the enemies. But once our character gets hit by special or big attack, our character keeps bleeding till we find health resources. I have bled some enemies, but it nothing compared to the bleeding I received. Also one can carry only 2 weapons, some grenades and a melee weapon, this function also is bad.

A primary weapon, secondary weapon, sidearm and few explosives. They are enough to fight; I mean the city is infested with zombies. To add to the danger, another faction is chasing us. There are many times when we need to run across the enemies instead of fighting. If more weapons have been provided, then sprinting with them has been difficult. This isn’t some old time game, where the character can carry pistol, shotgun, s.m.g., Assault rifle, explosives, rocket launcher and some heavy weapon. The times have changed and the games are designed to come closer to reality. Plus the game is a third person shooter; the weapons have to be displayed on the body of character. 2 weapons can be easily shown, but if the number of weapons are increased, then it will all look clustered and might cause complexities in the graphics.

The cut scenes can’t be skipped, this is really annoying. Every time I restart the mission or die, I have to watch the whole cut scenes all over again. Developers should provide some option to skip the cut scenes for the 2nd time. I know the cut scenes add flavor to the game, but watching every cut scene thrice is really boring.

The really annoying thing that is made I the game is in the multiplayer mode. If you are playing in the multiplayer mode and your opponent has a grenade launcher, then if you are standing close to him and he/she fires a grenade. The grenade explodes on me, I get damaged and thrown back, but my opponent is standing in his place. Even if he is in grenades impact range, he doesn’t move. That looks bad; the developers should have added fluidity to the movements. Also this gives an unfair advantage to the enemy. When I fall down, the opponent start attacking with other weapon, while I try to recover. If he had been blown back, we both will get equal time to recover before we can continue our fight. Also the cover system is bad. You take cover behind low heighted wall and it looks like the player is 1 foot away from the cover.

The cover is meant to cover the maximum part of body from projectile attacks. If character sticks close to the wall, then firing over the wall will become difficult. The distance he maintains provides him space to bring out the gun and aim, when enemy stops firing. Moreover, it helps to see him over the wall easily on enemy’s movements and activities.