Thread: Birds of Steel Manuals hang

Birds of Steel Manuals hang

Hello friends, I have purchased Birds of Steel and play it for couple of hours. It is really great till now, but game manual does not do justice with Birds of Steel. Well there is any complete manual or PDF which will be having information to complete this game? Even wanted to have completed instructions how to fly and play, which ever the thing it might be. There were Tutorial in Birds of Prey, but it is not there in this game. Birds of Steel has Test Area to fly your plane before you start competition which is been trial and error. I have tried many of the websites but it was not at all helpful for me. Can anyone tell me, where I can get proper information and also does this problem is been occurring with someone else also? Thank you.

Re: Birds of Steel Manuals hang

Let me tell you that there is indeed a tutorial. You need to go to the Historical Campaign and then you better select the first one which is the U.S. pre-war period. It’s the fourth missions long. Well also wanted to tell encyclopedia section which is having information and it is useful is really useful for game. I do agree that manual in game do not tell you so much. Whereas I am still trying to figure out all the control options, mission editor and new AC purchases etc. The manual could have been better.

Well sad to tell that the Video Game Manual is an endangered animal now a days. It’s so bad that even vast budget; high end games such as Battlefield 3 do not even bother including one in the box. It is really bad. I do remember that earlier in the Commodore Amiga vs. Atari ST vs. IBM PC days when you would buy a new game and get integrated in the huge box a new book to read for the next few days, which half the fun was. I particularly consider the manual for Microprose F19 Stealth fighter; at the age of around ten the manual educated me the dissimilarity between Pulse and Doppler radars.

I was very much surprise when I have founded that there was manual in this game. I do not believe that Battlefield 3 or Modern Warfare 3 have arrived with manuals that were more than 4 pages and talking about those 4 pages I mean a sheet of paper folded in half. I have founded that Red Baron PC when doing digging through some boxes last weekend and it was something which calls a manual.

Just gone through an old box with Commodore 64 games with one of my friends, and we were saying the exact same thing. Proper manuals with tons of in game information and real life related stuff. Games have come a long way since then, especially sim types Posted Image But while flicking through the manuals, and I fondly remember being completely immersed in them. Titles like Micro Prose Solo Flight, Activision Fighter Bomber, Gunship and many more. Considering the low technical level of games back then the manuals certainly added to the experience. Agree on the lack of good manuals these days. There should be a cool manual in pdf downloadable on a website or included on the disc no one could easily look things up on a computer or an iPad or such. That would keep printing costs down and also save the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Badmannah View Post
    Just gone through an old box with Commodore 64 games with one of my friends, and we were saying the exact same thing. Proper manuals with tons of in game information and real life related stuff. Games have come a long way since then, especially sim types Posted Image But while flicking through the manuals, and I fondly remember being completely immersed in them. Titles like Micro Prose Solo Flight, Activision Fighter Bomber, Gunship and many more. Considering the low technical level of games back then the manuals certainly added to the experience. Agree on the lack of good manuals these days. There should be a cool manual in pdf downloadable on a website or included on the disc no one could easily look things up on a computer or an iPad or such. That would keep printing costs down and also save the trees.
    I think that is very much nice to implement it, I believe that developer could post a detailed PDF file or some such on the Birds of Steel website and it would not cost much at all to them.

That’s a very good idea. All in all this community is fully capable of collecting a huge amount of information, and with a little something from Gaijin once in a while I'm sure it would be a manual to be both smart, skilled and proud of. We just have to be a bit patient guys; the game has been on high street for 36 hours or so, and I'm just off to go collect myself a copy. What I think would be nice to get a bit of information from the devs on is the menu settings and mapping of flight sticks etc. That was a bitch to understand on the pc platform I recall from IL2 1946 and the other titles. And now I have forgotten it completely.

I am very much surprised by how much was in the Birds of Steel manual, it’s one of the biggest ones I have seen for a while, still not really adequate, but in this day and age, where within minutes, everyone can sound like an expert on anything, it is a waste of paper.

I actually sent Anton a personal message yesterday with a similar suggestion. I hope they consider this as it will really help support the pilots and make the game more accessible for future pilots to join in the fun.