Thread: Requirement of minimap in Command and Conquer: Tiberium Alliances

Requirement of minimap in Command and Conquer: Tiberium Alliances

I think that a minimap should be provided in the game. It will become easier to find the areas that we have visited. The map will also be useful to see placement of our troops. Do you all think that minimap should be provided in the game or not?

Re: Requirement of minimap in Command and Conquer: Tiberium Alliances

I too think that map should be provided in the game. The map should be limited only for one’s base only. When on base the minimap will provide detailed overview of the base. It will show different types of troops in different colors. For example, tanks in red, aircraft in blue and so on. The buildings to will be displayed in specific color. For example, production buildings will be shown in red color, resources producing buildings in blue color and so on. This will help one navigates in the base more easily. As the base grows, it will become more complex to search for a specific building. At that time this will become helpful.

The base can be helpful to navigate own base in the large world. When roaming on other’s base, the map must show bigger zone where our base will be shown. This will help navigate other bases with respect to our base.

I agree; now if I attack on some base I forget where it was after long time. So the minimap will help locate the old locations on the map. If minimap will be made available one will be able to see the enemies activities too if one places own unit in his base. This will help to see if enemy is making progress or not. So after destroying an enemy, one will be able to see what new building he is making or what unit is he making. Using this one decide the next move.

No I don’t think minimap is possible for such big game. The game has millions of users. To add bases of millions of users, it would a large amount of server space for developers to implement it. I don’t think that this idea is practical. Moreover, when new users will be added, the load will increase. Even if the developers provide a minimap, you won’t be able to see bases that are too far. You will only be able to see only the bases that are nearby. So I think minimap of only user’s base can be provided.

Programming browser and server, and then the server and client side application for minimap will take lot of time resources from developer’s side. Again the bases change at fast rate, the buildings collapse, buildings are raised, units are created & units are killed. This whole thing will be needed to be updated dynamically. This dynamic updating will increase load on developer’s servers. This load might become very difficult to manage and might lead to frequent crashing.

Providing a dynamic map will need users to have a high internet speed. The game won’t work on average internet speeds like 512 kbps. To have the dynamic map working properly one will need to have internet speed like 1 mbps or higher. This isn’t possible as this type of connection is not available in every part of world. This will defeat the purpose of EA games of having it as MMO real-time strategy.