Thread: The person on wheelchair in Silent Hill: Downpour

The person on wheelchair in Silent Hill: Downpour

I have been playing the Silent Hill: Downpour for some 5 hours now. I am in middle of game where I have to enter a petrol station. All throughout the journey, I have noticed a guy on wheelchair around Murphy in one form or another. Even if the person is not present physically, something that denotes his presence around is always found. What is reason for having him around every time?

Re: The person on wheelchair in Silent Hill: Downpour

My friend pointed out his presence in the beginning cutscenes. I later realized that it was the same person watching Murphy from the window. He is also seen near the V8 truck and in the blackwood area. If you are now in the petrol station area, look above the roof of the building. You will see his wheelchair. I first was surprised how a handicapped person reaches such heights, but then later realized that it belongs to the same person. I don’t know if he is a real person or a ghost, but he also appears on the T.V. screen in the prison. It seems like he is following Murphy everywhere.

I think that whoever he is a real person with flesh or blood or a ghost, Murphy’s character must know him. His identity must be hidden to keep the players in suspense. They might reveal relation between Murphy and that guy in later stages of the game. If I had to cast my opinion, I’d say that he is a ghost, because I don’t think a person in wheel chair can travel so fast as in the game.

If you closely observe his wheelchair, you can see a red balloon like thing at the bottom. According to my knowledge it is a breathing mechanism mostly used by patients with respiratory problems. Also the wheelchair has mirrors. If he would have been ghost, then why would he need a breathing mechanism? Also if he needs mirror, then he too must be human trapped in Silent Hill town like Murphy. He must be using mirror for avoiding the monsters that might attack from behind. But again this is a video game, anything can happen. Maybe the wheelchair guy is the main bad guy with teleportation powers.

I found this wheelchair guy very interesting. He seems the only person to have some mysterious background in the whole Silent Hill game. Every time I find the wheelchair guy or maybe his wheelchair, he brings the feeling of pain and hopelessness in the environment. By looks of his condition, it seems like he has suffered injuries due to electric shocks. I think that he is someone who is creating a trail for Murphy to get help for something that he desires but can’t achieve due to his condition.

I think that Murphy is shown being sent to jail. Maybe his crime is related somehow to hospital. The number of times he encounters the wheelchair. Maybe Murphy in his past life had trouble with some person using wheelchair. Again the doll monster seems like a nurse without any human details. So that confirms that Murphy’s past had something to do with hospital or something from medical field.

According to me, the wheelchair is left by some person who knows that Murphy needs to pass through certain path to solve the mystery. He must be using wheelchair as a symbol of danger. He must be an old resident of Silent Hill who knows where danger lies. I think this because, every time I find a wheelchair, monsters appear around me. So maybe developers have used the wheelchair to creat the atmosphere of tension in the game.