Thread: No random maps in XCOM game

No random maps in XCOM game

Hello friends, I have just founded that the developer have not added the random levels in the game, well it all hand crafted. It is something that blizzard saying Diablo 3 won’t have random levels, but there is no need to worry about it, as we have made plenty of hand-made levels. Even they have told that there are enough levels so due to which we do not have to see same twice in a playthrough, I really doubt about it. Well I would ask about the third, fourth and fifth playthrough? Really not know that the level is the part of the layout of excitement. I was having the feelings that these levels will be shorter than the actual one, due to the high level of detail, squad size, and also they are been hand-crafted. What you people have to say about it. Thank you.

Re: No random maps in XCOM game

Let me tell you that it is probably not possible to have with the Unreal Engine and also we have seen small maps in the screenshot and demo, so there is nothing new in that. Even if you see the same map, the spawn, aliens and tactics will be different and maps in the original game wasn't really that different once you recognized each 'bock'.

Quote Originally Posted by Chakradevroy View Post
    Let me tell you that it is probably not possible to have with the Unreal Engine and also we have seen small maps in the screenshot and demo, so there is nothing new in that. Even if you see the same map, the spawn, aliens and tactics will be different and maps in the original game wasn't really that different once you recognized each 'bock'.
    The points which you have told are really worth and also I have tried to search for it, but did not get it. It is been very much disappointing. When talking about this then it reminds about the premade maps in UFO: Afterlight. Where those maps were proper and also there was only handful of them, and they played out pretty much the same every time.

What the developer are telling that they are having the hand crafted one which are more unique, whereas I really do not wanted to use blocks, if you wanted to know then blocks for at random generated maps and also some time tentpole randomly given "Story" missions which are been overarching, non-invasive external narrative. So really do not want to have it in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by GaganGang View Post
    What the developer are telling that they are having the hand crafted one which are more unique, whereas I really do not wanted to use blocks, if you wanted to know then blocks for at random generated maps and also some time tentpole randomly given "Story" missions which are been overarching, non-invasive external narrative. So really do not want to have it in the game.
    I really do not believe it, as it is been not likely as they could stitch such "blocks" together in the Unreal engine. Whereas I am very much certain with the maps in Unreal Engine 3, they need to be compiled on the outside with slow-to-computer integrated monolithic visibility trees and whatnot. Also they have not mention about any of the block system and they are been focus on not seeing the same map again in a couple of playthrough, which no one have believe that it would be anywhere as much of worry with randomly assembled terrain map blocks.

In spite of the merits of these claims, would it not be great that the devs could concentrate their energy and superior sense of game mechanism on this, seemingly insurmountable problem we call it as random map. Imperfect as it is, it was in the original game. Now, making it better would be something I would happily call evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by MACALL View Post
    I really do not believe it, as it is been not likely as they could stitch such "blocks" together in the Unreal engine. Whereas I am very much certain with the maps in Unreal Engine 3, they need to be compiled on the outside with slow-to-computer integrated monolithic visibility trees and whatnot. Also they have not mention about any of the block system and they are been focus on not seeing the same map again in a couple of playthrough, which no one have believe that it would be anywhere as much of worry with randomly assembled terrain map blocks.
    I think that there is no doubt going to be some reusing, but the maps are procedurally generated. It's still procedurally generated. They say you won't see the same exact map twice and I believe them. Why would they lie? They gain nothing by it.

I have not understood this thing with random maps and that post sums the reason up perfectly, particularly the last line. I would like to add that list the world is not random, so why should maps be? If I land in exactly the same place, I want to see the same map. Sure, provide different spawn points, different tactics and so on but if I've just returned to the same place and the place has changed noticeably, I want to know why? The only changes I'd like to see and I believe Firaxis themselves mentioned this is evidence of the previous battle. Also - and admittedly this only applies to the PC version there's every chance user made maps will be possible, and that means things like city-specific maps. Give me those over the boring, generic and not very varied at all maps from Enemy Unknown any day.

I am still going with that they meant that in terms of the maps being hand crafted in their entirety, not that they meant the maps are pieced together procedurally from hand-crafted blocks. The stuff they've specifically mentioned as being procedurally generated is the enemy placements and whatnot. The maps only get a they're hand crafted, and the fact they mention you won't see the same one twice until about your third playthrough just puts me even more on the side of Their standard UE3 monolithic map files, there's just a lot of them.