Thread: Why there is no time unit in XCOM game?

Why there is no time unit in XCOM game?

Hello friends, this seems to be really unnecessary dumbing it down. I have not played the original X-com, but played the Jagged Alliance 2 and also Silent Storm, both of these games uses a "point" based system and love the flexibility which are been provided by such system and it is working great. If it is not being broken then do not fix it. Anyone knows anything about it? Thank you

Re: Why there is no time unit in XCOM game?

Well I believe that the old time units were the best and better system. I believe that we much ask ourselves that how many other games are been using the move-action system that also with reasonable amount of success, before we consider it as a bad choice. I am giving it a name such that god of board games for our first move-action representative which was the Dungeons & Dragons. Everyone knows that how much enjoyable that game was and it is and no matter what edition it is. I am great fan of 3.5.

I do agree with you somewhat and I believe that the TU were very well done in Silent Storm. As that game was not having the most fantastic AI but it was having very good features, which includes how TU were presented in the UI and also how the soldier talents affected TU’s. Whereas the SS’s was a mix of the real time out of combat and fluid TU during combat worked very well. If everyone involved with developing the game thinks this new system is better than TUs then it must be one heck of an amazing system.

Well the TU was only a functional system but nothing the Earth shattering, as there were many flaws with that system and least of all them are been mentioned by the Jake Soloman.

Quote Originally Posted by Jung View Post
    Well the TU was only a functional system but nothing the Earth shattering, as there were many flaws with that system and least of all them are been mentioned by the Jake Soloman.
    Well about this you remember that, they have tried for TUs and they believe that the way they are working will be the move-action and it will be good but not as much the raw or the naked math. It is been very much hard to believe that professional game designer from past ten years Faraxis Lt., and self-proclaimed are been the super fan of this.

There are been may post in which people are been supporting the Firaxis design, well it is not to be said that both of the side have not been able to raise debate for it or against the system with the logical frameworks based on information given so far by the developers and also it would not continue to do it, as per the information available. It might be more reasonable to say no one can make an absolute judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumeet.Pra View Post
    Hello friends, this seems to be really unnecessary dumbing it down. I have not played the original X-com, but played the Jagged Alliance 2 and also Silent Storm, both of these games uses a "point" based system and love the flexibility which are been provided by such system and it is working great. If it is not being broken then do not fix it. Anyone knows anything about it? Thank you
    If there is no time unit then there is no big deal in that. Actually the method which they have made the machine, it seems to be more tactical and interesting in comparison with older one. I do not know that what the problem with the time unit is. Really not getting you what trying to say, well the main point is that game should have tactical combat and also it having it, that also deep. Do not know why all of the people are complaining about it.

I do agree with it. If they were saying that they have tested it and found the system of theirs is working better, then I will be prepare to give them benefit of the doubt. I believe that they have not played the game for five minutes and just came to that decision. I personally feel that they have tested it extensively and with many different people.

Quote Originally Posted by Badmannah View Post
    I do agree with it. If they were saying that they have tested it and found the system of theirs is working better, then I will be prepare to give them benefit of the doubt. I believe that they have not played the game for five minutes and just came to that decision. I personally feel that they have tested it extensively and with many different people.
    I guess not all of us are convinced by that sort of thing, no matter how enthusiastic and confident the developers come across as when saying it? Especially those who come up with what they see as preferable alternatives that the developers probably didn't try before switching to the new system, or those who prefer what some perceive as the faults of the old system to what they certainly perceive as faults with the new system.