Thread: Soldier's Helmets in XCOM

Soldier's Helmets in XCOM

Hello friends, will be there any helmets in this game, till now I have not seen it yet. Whereas the developer of game so that we can recognize your soldiers more easily. It feels that is illogical according to me, as it protects your head in the fight. Well helmet will be helpful when identifying your soldier's on the battlefield. Well with the imprinting the soldiers rank or some of other practical add-ons on it, such that night vision, when further advanced in the game, such things like aiming support. Might be the pack of the cigarettes attached to it, even it will be keeping the score killing marked on to the helmet. Well the opportunities with helmets are endless and should not be overlooked, so what you people have to say about it. Thank you.

Re: Soldier's Helmets in XCOM

It will be really nice to have the helmet in the game; also it will be very much better place to have national flag on to it. I was thinking to have something or the other where we can add the national flag on to it. One more thing would like to say is that an experienced soldier should not be running around without a helmet Gears of war style and also it look a bit odd that they are on battlefield and fighting with no head protection.

Personally like that how it was been done in the 1994, as they have start without helmet so you are able to sort of identify with how helpless actually they were and after that they get more power and also some of the flying armor which seems to be more powerful and also less personable. Let me tell you that in retrospect there was something which I do not like about APOC, because they have started off with helmets and due to which you were not able to identify the soldiers. This was thing which I really do not like and also it should happen again the same thing in this game also.

I really like the no-helmets look, whereas it is very much unlikely. I feel that if they add helmet to the soldiers then it will be totally waste and do the facial customization of them and hiding it behind those bulky helmet. Well I think that Flying Suit helmet is not at all good. Even they have told there will be smoke grenades laced with PEDs, if that is been coming then helmets might interfere with it.

Well it is not so much unrealistic; actually there are few of the soldiers which disliked helmets as they find it to be annoying because it is messing up with their aim. I personally feel that the helmets add more to personality; it will be done if you have done the customization of it. If you want that there should not be helmet in game, well I think that helmet could include some awesome mechanics where you will be losing the helmet in the battlefield and also add-on. The either way is that you retrieve it or sit in the middle of the night without have the night vision along with chrysalides and sectoids creeping around.

Quote Originally Posted by LotusN View Post
    Well it is not so much unrealistic; actually there are few of the soldiers which disliked helmets as they find it to be annoying because it is messing up with their aim. I personally feel that the helmets add more to personality; it will be done if you have done the customization of it. If you want that there should not be helmet in game, well I think that helmet could include some awesome mechanics where you will be losing the helmet in the battlefield and also add-on. The either way is that you retrieve it or sit in the middle of the night without have the night vision along with chrysalides and sectoids creeping around.
    If you do not like to wear the helmet then you will not able to decide whatever to wear it or not. Actually it is been the part of FFO, Full Fighting Order, for which it is required to have a piece of gear. Each and every soldier have to wear it and for a reason. It is been said the X-COM operatives are like Special Forces, top of the elite. Whereas I am not having any of the special force so I would not know but I feel that it might have the choice to select which gear to wear. Anyhow I am also finding it little weird that it will be not having helmet, but I do not understand that it is better to identify your characters and give them a personality and also there is possibility to put them a classic open face PASGT type of helmet.

I am also liking to have helmets in the game, whereas it is been tend to go on and the helmet style will be making your characters more individualistic in against of hordes of generic enemies, such as the Valkyria Chronicles. It is been also seen in some of newer RPG's, well there should be option to toggle them on or off, as it is been there in all latest games.

Well modern earth-tech helmets in fact are not at all that good. They are meant to protect more like a hardhat than stop a bullet. The amount of protection one can put on their head has always been more for deflection. So it stands to reason that they go in with no helmet because if you take plasma shot to the face it's kind of moot, and alien grenades tend to be above our level of protection as well. That means they're not really going to save lives. Think about it historically. When the firearm reached about the flintlock stage humanity forewent armor all together. Until World War I and then they got the dough boy helmet, but even then it was more for protection against fragmentation and falling debris than taking a bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chakradevroy View Post
    Well modern earth-tech helmets in fact are not at all that good. They are meant to protect more like a hardhat than stop a bullet. The amount of protection one can put on their head has always been more for deflection. So it stands to reason that they go in with no helmet because if you take plasma shot to the face it's kind of moot, and alien grenades tend to be above our level of protection as well. That means they're not really going to save lives. Think about it historically. When the firearm reached about the flintlock stage humanity forewent armor all together. Until World War I and then they got the dough boy helmet, but even then it was more for protection against fragmentation and falling debris than taking a bullet.
    Well it is been said that these days, some units used Kevlar Masks as well, so as technology advances so does the protection. We just generally invent ways to kill before ways to defend.