Thread: Suggestion about Dear Esther story

Suggestion about Dear Esther story

Hello friends, what you people have to say about the Dear Esther story, I have founded that the people are getting it metaphor, dream or a near-death experience of sort of story. Whereas it is been overwhelmed with the chemical symbols, formulas and other symbolic stuff which is been seem on the island, due to which we take the story literally, as it is actually happening. I am feeling this about the game, are you people also feeling the same? So do tell that what you feel, thank you.

Re: Suggestion about Dear Esther story

I do not believe that it is not a metaphor type story where you are taking it literally. I think that you have just gone through some of the random island and reading letters or a diary from any crazy person. This is the biggest point that it ruins the game, so I believe that it is a big metaphor.

Well you are saying that it is hard interpret the story in a literal sense, but I do not see it to be a metaphor. If we all wanted to argue upon that what is metaphor and what does it means then we have done it, but we are talking about the story. The best thing which I liked is that Dear Esther is that your character which is dying. Whereas I do not believe that the Island is a metaphor or any illusion as per you saying it, as you have brooked your led and you are on very high fever sadness.

What I really feel that the Dear Esther fails to deliver an open and user wish type of story. The storyline of the game is having a pretty open way, and we are been left to thing about the small things which are been related to her, so we have to think about it. What I mean to says is that there was a car crash in the game and Paul was driving the car, got distracted with his chemical schematics. Also there was a drunk driver and Paul was trying to get away but the brakes failed. Due to which Esther Dies but Paul is alive. Then the Donnelly, it is actually you, arrived on the Scene, and then the Esther was cremated. You also go to visit Paul, sometime later and wrote a book a long time ago, which nobody has cared to read it. So you steal the book from the library and go to the island to isolate you; after you start talking about you (Donnely) because when the book was written you were different then what you are now. Then started observing an explorer, and decide to go back to a familiar place (the island), to stay alone on your last days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jung View Post
    What I really feel that the Dear Esther fails to deliver an "Open, make your own/interpret as you wish" type of story. The storyline of the game is having a pretty open way, and we are been left to thing about the small things which are been related to her, so we have to think about it. What I mean to says is that there was a car crash in the game and Paul was driving the car, got distracted with his chemical schematics. Also there was a drunk driver and Paul was trying to get away but the brakes failed. Due to which Esther Dies but Paul is alive. Then the Donnelly, it is actually you, arrived on the Scene, and then the Esther was cremated. You also go to visit Paul, sometime later and wrote a book a long time ago, which nobody has cared to read it. So you steal the book from the library and go to the island to isolate you; after you start talking about you (Donnely) because when the book was written you were different then what you are now. Then started observing an explorer, and decide to go back to a familiar place (the island), to stay alone on your last days.
    Thinking the same, would like to add some more things. Then the Donnely is far away from the world, start writing letters to Esther then suddenly one day he broke his leg and he is much far away from the world, so the wound got infected and had to walk in extreme pain. Due to pain it makes him having hallucinations: Ghosts, Formulas, Car Parts and etc. Know that it his last days then he made paper boats out of the letters which he has written for Esther and pour Esther ashes on them and set free on the sea. Then decide to walk to the highest peak so that he can throw himself from there.

I have taken it very literally. I was believed it and still doing like that, as the narrator has visited the island many times. That he has brought it or found it in the wrecks, plenty of pans of paint and also painting the symbols on the walls. I believed that the narrator was painting the neurons, chemical symbols for alcohol, and circuit diagram for the electronic braking system; he was doing so that it was make some sign that Esther's is death and also he has founded the root cause of the accident. But I am not sure about it.

I think that it is very much easy to read which has been started with quite florid and then the narrator begins his final ascent when he was going from the beach to antenna which has been turns wildly metaphysical, I feel that it was due to drugs. He has taken overdose of it so that he can dull the pain of his broken leg and which is been quite addled in his mind. He was getting the thoughts about the accident, island, and people crossing one another which has started to make him feel that he is reading text across the folds in a paper boat, but referring the Esther Donnelly and Paul Jacobsen is not able to read too much which is there in it.

Where I believe that narrator was painting those symbols to make sense of things. One thing which I am stuck that the story is how it emphasizes the lives which are been forgotten. Where the Jacobsen intended to start a family and but he was failed in that. After his death, his body was been undiscovered for months and the Donnelly has written a book which one has read it for almost 30 years and one more thing which I feel that narrator having fear for Esther that she will be forgotten by the World.

When people see the island, then they will be able to find the diagrams, and also find the arranged medical paraphernalia, even some more stuff such as the car keys, rings, and everything else which is been told about the story. The narrator has turns the entire island into an epitaph.