Thread: What you understand about Dear Esther?

What you understand about Dear Esther?

Hello friends did not understand what the Dear Esther is, I am trying to understand then also I am not able to get it. Anyone has understood it and also what is the interesting point about it. Please help me out, so that it will be little easy for me to play the game. Thank you.

Re: What you understand about Dear Esther?

Let me first tell you some of the file names of the map which will be easier for you, lighthouse (donelley[sic]), buoy (jacobson), caves (esther), beacon (paul). All the maps are very much interesting and they are interesting as per their names. Where in the Jacobson you are jumping on one and get the Paul Jacobson, where in the Donelly you will get the Esther Donelly, I am not at sure that if any of them is having any significance or not.

When I was on the way to the hypothesis then it was been clear that world of Dear Esther is not a actual, whether the main character is hallucinating or it is been some sort of dream world and my personal ideas are been lean towards the latter explanation. I was having a native urge to believe the narrator which is there is the Esther's husband whereas the guy who is walking on the beaches is the Esther. It is have believe it when I realize that walker is Esther in a coma and her husband lies by her bedside and talking to her.

Quote Originally Posted by DougWison View Post
    When I was on the way to the hypothesis then it was been clear that world of Dear Esther is not a actual, whether the main character is hallucinating or it is been some sort of dream world and my personal ideas are been lean towards the latter explanation. I was having a native urge to believe the narrator which is there is the Esther's husband whereas the guy who is walking on the beaches is the Esther. It is have believe it when I realize that walker is Esther in a coma and her husband lies by her bedside and talking to her.
    There is some particular reason for that, well when you are jumping off a cliff or falling into the water then your heart rate will be start beating faster. If the Esther's husband is being sitting beside the bed then he might be able to notice the heart monitor speed up. I think that 'Come back...' is what the Esther's husband speaking to her and telling her to hold on. Such things are been seen in movie where the character is hoping that his/her voice will be saving the life of their loved ones. Where the narrator says that 'I met Paul today', feels to be supporting the aforementioned point. If you are visiting anyone who is in coma and holding them then there is some possibility that they can hear you and you can talk with them what you have done in your whole day. It is a mystery that the narrator is using such sophisticated language.

There is some more reason about it, when you exploring the island then you will hear many different sounds. Where the Esther is in coma then also she will be able to listen to her surroundings, also can hear voice of her husband and also some of the human voices and the noise from her life support machines. If she was been involved in the car crash and gone to coma, then she is having the time to think what has happened. She is trying to understand the current state from the piece of information which is related to the accident. Most of the people have said that dreams are a way of consolidating the events of the day. To understand this deeply sleeps making it helpful for her. It will more understand when playing the Dear Esther; you might not get the idea of the story at very beginning as they manage to grasp a general idea of what has happened as they play through it.

The conclusion what I am getting from the story is that Esther slips some kind of desperate state, the last thing which she has hear was 'Come back', which was told by her husband, it coincides with the loss of her struggle to press on.

When you will going downwards to caves then the narrator speaks about paul who was trying to climb up the hill and was been froze to dead as he was not able to climb and then after sometime then narrator says that he broke his leg when climbing down to the caves. If you combine both of these sentences then you feel that it might be paul who broke his leg in/near the caves and died before reaching the safety of the fire in the house