Thread: Cartridge games or digitally downloaded Games for Playstation Vita ?

Cartridge games or digitally downloaded Games for Playstation Vita ?

I got the new Playstation Vita which really is nice. I wanted to know if I should get games on cartridge or should I download them from Playstation storefront. If I purchase game as a Cartridge then I can sell it to someone else after I finish playing them or maybe give it to some of my friend to play until I want it back to play it again. Will getting games online would be better because both will cost the same.

Re: Cartridge games or digitally downloaded Games for Playstation Vita ?

Sony has made available some games from previous versions of Playstation for Playstation Vita online on Playstation Vita storefront for the users who want them again. Some new games too are also available online on PS storefront up for download. If you download games for PS Vita you cannot give it to any other person that is you cannot resell it or gift it to anyone.

The price of the games is available on official website of Sony PS Vita. The games downloaded from online PS storefront will be less than games available on cartridge. But if, you internet provider charges you for data transfer, it might cost you.

The games for PS Vita are also available in market in form of cartridge. You can purchase them. As in above reply, the games available in cartridge will cost more than downloading. But again, downloading a game will require time to complete. Purchasing game in cartridge will save the download time. Though old games that were meant for previous versions of Playstaion are not available on cartridge, one will need to download them from online PS storefront. Playstation Vita doesn’t have cd-drive, so only games available on cartridge can be physically purchased for it.

Sony has established a new system for cartridge based games to reduce the second hand market. The cartridge once used with one PS Vita cannot be used in another PS Vita. If one wants to start used cartridge from another PS Vita on his/her device, then they will need to buy an ‘Online Pass’ for a specified cost by Sony. This is like purchasing permission from Sony to run the game second time in different PS Vita. So if one is planning to resell used cartridges or gift them, then it would be equal for the 2nd person to buy the game.

Kotaku Japan conducted tests on working of Playstation Vita. They found that games that run on cartridge load faster than games downloaded from PS storefront. They conducted this research on Cartridge version & downloaded version of Uncharted: Golden Abyss. The results showed that the cartridge version of game loaded 4 seconds before the downloaded version of the same game.