Thread: Victoria 2 Protectorates, assimilation and experience

Victoria 2 Protectorates, assimilation and experience

I have completed with the second full game of Victoria 2. This game is not having the learning curve but this is having the learning wall and according to me that is extremely enjoyable. I am having some questions about this. I am not unhappy with the assimilation mechanics but I am not able to understand that how they are working. What is the function of protectorate and what are the benefits of that? I am not sure but I think that this is like Vassal mechanics of EU3. I am also not able to figure out that how experience improves combat ability?

Re: Victoria 2 Protectorates, assimilation and experience

I would like to tell you that the Establish protectorate is the War Goal and with help of that, you will be able to significantly reduced BB (claim concession does same within comparison to get state). But with this, you will get the colonies and not the states while they join your country.

Thank you so much, this is really helpful but I am a bit confused with this as while you overcome and unciv through the Conquest CB - you still get them like a colony and not like a state. If it is like this then why would you ever make use of the conquest CB on a tiny unciv?

Quote Originally Posted by sijjo View Post
    Thank you so much, this is really helpful but I am a bit confused with this as while you overcome and unciv through the Conquest CB - you still get them like a colony and not like a state. If it is like this then why would you ever make use of the conquest CB on a tiny unciv?
    If you want then you can make use of it on the bigger uncivs at the start. You can think of this as there is a culture tech which unlocks "protecting" bigger uncivs.

I think that you will not be able to conquer uncivs through more than 4 states. Actually I mean that the annex is utilizing the conquest CB and not the protectorate one. In fact I also failed to understand that why ask for the concession otherwise the protectorate because you will get similar for the less BB.

If you take-over4 state unciv then you will obtain every colony for 20/4 = 5 infamy and also 10 prestige within one war. Concessioning 3 states for 4 x 3 = 12 infamy and 0.2 x 3 = 0.6 prestige as well as annexing last one for 8 infamies with 2 prestige, intended for 20 total infamy with 2.6 prestige, but this is after 5 years truce.

Victoria II is a title that offers a simulation of one of the most fascinating and important (the nineteenth century and early twentieth century’s), because closely linked with the history of our present. The game experience is, however weakened by the poorer performance of the historical aspects of the period and presence of major flaws in terms of 'artificial intelligence and some technical aspects, but the fact remains that Victoria II remains a title to be taken seriously , especially for fans of the genre, in the hope that Paradox continues with the tradition to continue updating and improving their qualifications well beyond the release of future patch.

We have seen that Victoria II tries to simulate all aspects of a nation peculiar nineteenth century of the modern state, based on the Western model of the time: social revolutions, political parties and parliamentary government, industrialization and military force, but this is enough to bring down the player the atmosphere of the time and give a real sense of driving the chosen nation.

You need to step back and look at the predecessor of Victoria II: one of the most noticeable changes compared to the first chapter is the disappearance of "scripted historical events", ie the occurrence of important historical dates in the chain of events, some of which strictly dependent on the chosen nation.

If we took the Kingdom of Sardinia in 1860 shot the chain of events would be required to undertake the political unification. These events had different options to take with alternative choices than historical, however Paradox has decided to change this system in Victoria II making the game more free, because it seemed too "deterministic" and wants to keep track of the player required. On the other hand, these good intentions have caused very little damage to the player to feel the 'feeling of being in the historical context of 1800, in fact the historical events in this sequel are replaced with generic decisions or events with oversimplified causing profound loss to the beauty of the game after the first few games.

Another flaw is that of an unbalanced system in the management of revolts: in many games, in fact, towards the year end, there is an imbalance that leads to uncontrolled and frequent rebellions around the world, the AI also selects sometimes inconsistent and illogical to pursue options, thus limiting the gaming experience.