Thread: Need to play old console games on computer monitor

Need to play old console games on computer monitor

I recently bought a new 32” LCD TV with full HD just to play console game. Now I am able to play games very convincingly with Xbox 360. But when it comes to PS2 and GameCube the screen look too ugly. The display of my LCD makes me much more uncomfortable with PS2 and GameCube. It was quite well on my old TV but there is some problem with the placement of the TV in my room so I am unable to use my old TV to play the games. Now I am planning to connect my PS2 and GameCube to my computer monitor. Any suggestion how can I do it?

Re: Need to play old console games on computer monitor

I don’t think it’s possible to connect your computer monitor to your PS2 or GameCube. I have never heard about such connection between a gaming device and a monitor.
    Till now I just know that a play station or a Xbox can be connected to TVs. Maybe possibly you can get some piece of connector from the market which can connect a monitor to your play station; after all it’s just a matter of a cable wire.

Yes it is possible to connect your monitor. Usually a PS2 have an upscalar and VGA boxes that connects directly to the video output. They connect the video output on the console converting to the old VGA monitor socket or HDMI. The PS2 was normally given support for the lower end HD signals.

Even I was supposed to connect my PS2 to my monitor and in fact I successfully did it. But still I am not completely satisfied with the game. It’s because whenever I play game in my PS connecting my monitor the video quality and the display is so worst that I literally do not feel to continue the game.
    But then I tried to play the game using my normal LCD TV but still the problem was same. Sometimes I even stop the game. Is there any way out to improve the video quality of my monitors screen or my TV? Normally when my monitor is connected to the CPU the display looks perfect. What could be the problem, is it the PS2 cables which connect to it?

I don’t have any idea about the HDMI or cable connector which can connect the PC monitor to the PS2. But yes some days ago I read somewhere that these PS2 has the best capability to get connected to the monitor and in fact make the video quality look good as compare to their normal look.
    But this functionality can cost you more and can become more expensive and due to this reason this ideas were always suppressed. So therefore there are least chances of finding them anywhere.

No matter how and which connectivity you use to connect your monitor to the PS but whenever you play some old or console game they will definitely look old and ugly on screen. There is one solution you can try out. Use a Scart cable and then check the scaling option of your TV. As per my knowledge there are some TVs which can setup the scale exactly to 570p on it. There could be a black blank border above and below your screen but still it will give you better picture quality.

I too faced had the same irritating issue of my screen quality but then I tried some R and D with the scaling option on my TV. And now I get a good video quality not only with PS2 but also with GameCube. In fact my GameCube give a very attractive and nice box shaped picture on the TV that too with just a component cable connection. But there is a black line on the right and left side of the screen but it still look great. It is in the ratio of 4:3.

Scarts cables are really helpful. It generally guides the screen about how to display the videos and images with respect to the size and the ratio. Now a days most of the HD TV come up with pre set scaling, so for that reason we are sometime unable to set the screen of the display. This cable does waste some space around the borders but any ways it makes a good quality wherever the screen is filled.

I play PS and GameCube on my monitor. And I really enjoy it playing it on my LCD monitor screen. But it really makes me impossible to play the game without an audio.
    My monitor does not have a speaker due to which I am unable to play sound along with the game. Nor do my PS and GameCube have it. It doesn’t matter but at least I need a headphone or a headphone jack so that I can most probably try to connect it. Can anyone suggest me from where can I get the cheapest one to enable me to get an audio output.

Try to get it from Amazon site. There you can get not only your headphone jack but also all other necessary items in a cheaper rate. You just have to order it online by visiting the site and exploring it. must be quite simple and best for you.

Instead I would suggest you to buy a cheap speaker and an adapter from the market and just assure that the speaker that you are buying contains an auxiliary input. And if you are planning to connect headphones to your PS2 or GameCube then I would strictly suggest you not to do so because there is no possible way of adjusting the volume unless and until your headphone have a volume adjuster.