Thread: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Script Extender

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Script Extender

I am starting this thread for the moment will serve as a landing place for questions and requests for the Skyrim Script Extender. The whole team (Ianpatt, scruggsy and I) will be back to investigate and hopefully implement a new Script Extender for Skyrim. None of us have the game yet, and the Creation Kit is not out so there isn't too much to say at this point. We expect that we'll be able to make this work and that there will be some scripting needs that the wonderful folks at BGS have left unfilled.

Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Script Extender

I wish that I could help out, but as I am unfortunately rather unskilled at the time I guess I will just have to be part of the moral support team/cheerleading squad. I haven't played Oblivion in years (since before OBSE, in fact), but I do peek in occasionally and the work you've done is amazing. I'm looking forwards to seeing what goodies you can come up with for Skyrim.

I am going to be more interested in finding out what the new Creation Kit's supposedly brand-new scripting language can do. I'm hopeful they made some big improvements. I think they may have made some really big, nice improvements in connecting actors (and other items) to animation nodes; I think that's how they handle weapon racks and possibly sitting in a moving cart and such.

I actually agree. I can't wait to see what they have done. Do we get FormLists like we had in Fallout? String variables? Loops? Can we define our own functions? Is it still a c-style function calling script style, or is it object-oriented? Maybe they just have a python-like language and there is very little for a script extender to do? If that is the case we can call it a win all the way around. However I imagine there will still be some bits and pieces of the world that haven't been fully exposed yet. We can expose those. Can you script the UI and build new interfaces dynamically through code? If not, we can work on that. What about allowing custom spells to be created?

I would like to tell you that the new system doesn't work for the console code? Perhaps the old system was too ingrained in the code and there was no need to scrub the code and take everything out? The old system worked for years and was pretty well strewn across the code base, especially for dumping info to the console for state changes and the like. Dunno - maybe Viper could say? Or perhaps it will be obvious as we get a chance to play with some more things.

This is not to mention that quick and dirty code snippets needed for dialogue results/etc. What I am hoping is that you can reference Papyrus classes in old-style scripts. In any case, I understand why they have two different scripting languages, especially since the new one seems much more complex and, hey, they already had the old one in there, no need to completely gut it.

There's debugging info to allow translation back from opcode offset to original line number, so that might be useful during script development later. Next, there's a list of "user flags", which I would guess are just bitfield assignments for something stored on each class instance.

I know that the CK is not even out yet and all, but I was wondering if I could make two (hopefully minor) requests-- would it be possible to look into getting control over the Eye Colour and Eye Makeup effects in-game? I know we had Get/SetEyes in Oblivion, so I am hoping (but actually having no idea how complex that was to implement) that we could get the same since the make-up is now 'put-on' by the look of it.

Perhaps they unequivocally have a python-such as dialect and there is practically nothing for a script extender to do? Since that is the case we would be able to call it a win the considerable distance around. Notwithstanding I envisage there will still be some odds and ends of the globe that haven't been totally uncovered yet. We would be able to uncover those.

So Script extender was working fine for me up until about 3 days ago when it started launching the game with the regular launcher what went wrong?

So Script extender was working fine for me up until about 3 days ago when it started launching the game with the regular launcher what went wrong?
    It is difficult to say what might have went wrong but then if you want to solve the issue then you can just download and install the “The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Skyrim Script Extender 1.4.2” and see if it is working fine or not.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Script Extender

That is the version installed and i have reinstalled it 3 times.

started working again when i updated all my mods strange