Thread: "failed to initialize renderer" error in Skyrim

"failed to initialize renderer" error in Skyrim

I get this error message when i try to run Skyrim "failed to initialize renderer" and a little window with skyrim written on it.
    I have 8gb ram 1600Mhz, AMD FX 6-Core Processor BE and GeForce GTS 240.
    I just built a new computer, everthing is new except the Graphic Card. The old computer was able to run skyrim with the same Graphic Card.
    Any one who knows what the problem might be?

Re: "failed to initialize renderer" error in Skyrim

The graphics card that you have is above requirement and the error usually means that you have a video card that doesnt meets the skyrim games requirement, weird? Have you tried updating your graphics driver? Try to play the game in windowed mode and see if that works out for you or not? Also check some suggestions given in this similar kind of thread - getting "failed to initialize renderer" error while playing Skyrim through bootcamp

I have the exact same problem, and I tried you're advice about using windowed mode, and it said that that was not supported by my adapter either. I have previously looked at the link you gave, but none of the solutions helped. Maybe it's time to buy a new graphics card. Mine is an NVIDIA GeForce 6200SE TurboCache, which is quite outdated, but has the latest drivers (Version 263.4). Can anyone help!?

Quote Originally Posted by SeanWinder1 View Post
    I have the exact same problem, and I tried you're advice about using windowed mode, and it said that that was not supported by my adapter either. I have previously looked at the link you gave, but none of the solutions helped. Maybe it's time to buy a new graphics card. Mine is an NVIDIA GeForce 6200SE TurboCache, which is quite outdated, but has the latest drivers (Version 263.4). Can anyone help!?
    If it is not helping you out with the latest driver as well then you will probably have to upgrade the video card as NVIDIA GeForce 6200SE TurboCache is really a outdated one.If you want then you can try out selecting a different screen resolution in the launcher or native resolution of the computer screen.