Thread: Will you use dragon shouts in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim?

Will you use dragon shouts in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim?

This is my first play through, I just want to play a normal character similar to the other TES games with the help my own skills to get what I want rather than the dragon born abilities from word walls. What about you people over there? Please reply.

Re: Will you use dragon shouts in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim?

If I can yell epic dragon words of powers that make people fall over because of how Bad I am and I am going to do it. In game characters and quests relate to you not being normal, it will make ZERO sense to pretend to be. Unless you will just ignore everything and make up something then why you are absorbing Dragon Souls?

On the first playthrough I won't tackle as Dragonborn so I will think of them as Thu'um, "Way of the Voice" unless it's the same as Shouts. And even so if the lore allocates that Thu'um is the same as what Dragonborn/Dragons speak/use as long as Nords without the soul of a dragon are known to be able to use it, it will be fine. I am also using role-playing to allocate different things. The 3D map is simple a leather binded magic infused scroll that once opened shows a brief light, and then to the correct user gives a vision of the surrounding area.

It all depends on the character. Some of my characters are going to be "ordinary", while others will be over-the-top uber Gods, I am sure. Just like my characters in Oblivion actually. Some are ordinary and suck at dungeon diving and combat, while others are simply masterful at it.

I am not very sure if I even have a choice. It doesn't fit my characters persona. I mean do you think my dagger is going to have any effect on a creature 10 times my size? I am going to need to poison my dagger quite often in and out of combat. No timeouts given in those situations.

This is for to those wondering why I don't want to use them, I personally feel the phrases "Be whoever you want, do whatever you want" and "You are the last of the dragonborn, who kills dragons and gains their shouts" to be in contradiction. I also feel it cheapens the rest of the play style you want to use, I can't help but feel whether I want to be a mage or a warrior or a thief, the dragon shouts will overpower them and make them not seem like my main characteristics. I may possibly do this in a later playthrough, just like I plan to do a RP-ish playthrough, but I want to experience all the game has to offer in a playthrough.

I am a normal person in the real world. When I turn on my 360 or PC, I want to be able to do the most ridiculous, impossible that I cannot do in the real world. I do not see the point in RPing an "average Joe" in a video game. Maybe if I was like a demi-god or superhero in the real world? I don’t know but I would probably even then still try to be pretty badass in a video game. In short, my answer is: "No” for this but you will have fun with the game.

I am not using the dragonshouts and this doesn't mean I cannot be a powerful character. That's like saying Han Solo is not a powerful character and is just an average Joe in Star Wars because he isn't a jedi or like saying Hermione Granger in Harry Potter is an average Jane because she isn't the boy who lived or have some unique godlike ability.

Han Solo would be nothing without his wits, Millennium Falcon and blaster skills." But the point is he has those skills. This is same as Hermione is very clever, resourceful and an excellent witch. To use a slightly more obscure example, is King Bumi from "Avatar" an average joe because he is not the avatar? No. A character doesn't need to be the one prophecies being with a unique power given to them to be cool, powerful, unique, or interesting. They're not average because their own amassed skills and traits put them above the normal.

I am not with my first character. I do intend to play as a farmer with a farm mod I'll make some time however so yeah I might just skip the main quest and the whole dragon shout thing. Which are activated in the first quest in Whiterun I think, I just won't do it.

I understand a lot of people (including myself) want to use dragon shouts because they are:
    • Unique (new to the Bethesda series).
    • Powerful (makes for an easier game).
    • Helps with Roleplaying (my assassin will love the time distortion shout).
    • Just outright fun in some cases.

I think the OP is trying to make a statement of,"I don't need specific magic to be awesome." This is amazing. I really think it is. It is the equivalent of saying, “I don't need to do the main quest to get awesome abilities because I can forge my own destiny by doing what I want to do." This is ironically what Todd Howard loves to say when he is describing Skyrim. Therefore play your non shout game as I already know you will, but understand that not many will comprehend your struggle but that is what will truly make you a hero, side stepping a given advantage to craft your own destiny.

The prerequisite was 20 and I just had 15 but the star is lit in the group of stars. Then when about 6 hours I went into the hotel in Riverwood and the activity went haywire and wouldn't get back to ordinary. This is simply a certifiable laggy liveliness (PC) so I spared to a late recovery and enjoyed a reprieve.

I cannot do in practical reality. I make a point not to see the focus in RPing a "mean Joe" in a motion picture recreation. Possibly assuming that I was similar to a demi-god or superhero in practical reality? I don’t know but I could possibly even then still attempt to be all in all tough ass gangsta in a film recreation.