Thread: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Companions Attacks without any reason

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Companions Attacks without any reason

I have finished with the companion quest line. However, at some point the game seems to have glitches and now all the NPC's with Companion faction will attack me without provocation, which makes it virtually impossible to revisit Whiterun without killing NPC's I don't want to kill. I don't know when the glitch was introduced, but it was sometime after doing the totem quest. I am absolutely certain I did nothing that should have angered them. Is there someone else who have experienced the same?

Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Companions Attacks without any reason

Have you saved that occurs before the quest in question? You can try to reload it there and confirming that it happened around that time. I don't know a fix for it except to play it again and verify. I hope that it helps you out.

It seems to be a random occurrence. Had this happen to me as well about an hour ago, but not during the totem quest. I did the Ragnavald Temple quest and after I completed that dungeon, I traveled back to Whiterun only to have the Companions suddenly go hostile on me.

Quote Originally Posted by mbangali View Post
    Have you saved that occurs before the quest in question? You can try to reload it there and confirming that it happened around that time. I don't know a fix for it except to play it again and verify. I hope that it helps you out.
    Thank you for your quick reply on this but I did find a save prior to the bug cropping up. It seems to be the conclusion of the Winterhold college quest (after Labyrythian), Red Eagle's quest, or the totem quest because those are the only quests I completed after the save that is uncorrupted. I'll report more if I can narrow it down further. Incidentally, my character is married to Aela but she doesn't go hostile when I dismiss her as a companion. I thought I would check that just to see what would happen.

On reference to what happened with Aela I would suspect that something had a direct affect on the Companions after one of those quests (which seems obvious but to me it is more conclusive). Actually, when did you dismiss her? Is this before or after completion of a certain quest? If you find out which quest it is, you can use Aela to sort of represent the Companion faction as she tags along with you. Use the dismiss option to see if she attacks you or before, during, and after the quest.

I am only curious as to what is going on. I don't have a fix other than play from that save. Other than I would assume that you have put more hours in since that save file. I hope my suggestion is helpful to you, let me know if you find a fix or just restart at a good save. Another question: Are you saving over old saves? I would assume since you 'found a save' that you save into a new slot every time which in my opinion is a good idea in order to avoid any corruption. There are a lot of bugs going on with this game so it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Earlier, I was also having the same issue but my bug appeared to fix itself. I had an active Companions guild quest so before visiting them I simply knocked out that quest and then went to visit them and for whatever reason between my bugged save and being flagged as completing the Companions quest (basically kill some random mob in a tower), it caused them to no longer decide to become hostile.

This is not only you who found this problem with the game. I am also in the same list. they have made this in this way only and I think that ot is very disappointing from the developer.

Hey, I solved this with a bit of violence when it came up on my PS3.
    It was after Red Eagle's Sword quest (which gave me the option of completing it every time I read that dead adventurer's book... that may have contributed to the bug.)

I ran out of the Companion's hall, and yelled at a guard and some citizens. I paid a fine, and walked back to the Companions who were just fine with me afterward. Maybe this will work for anyone who can't go back to a save point.

Are you sure you did not accidentally kill or steal from the Companions?