Thread: Is Night Vision useful in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Is Night Vision useful in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I have been playing Skyrim for 45 hours now and apart from a few niggles that most quests I have found can only play out in one particular way, etc., I am really enjoying it. I am having one question with this. Has anyone found a real, practical use for night vision yet? As a Kahjiit Vampire Assassin I have night vision powers coming out the wazoo but I have not yet found a single place in the game dark enough to need it. Even the darkest and most subterranean of caves still has enough ambient light to see the environment and enemies by with no problems. Similarly, I have used a single torch so far, and I used them constantly in Oblivion. Just need to have more opinion about this.

Re: Is Night Vision useful in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I think that night Vision is more of an annoyance than a useful ability. For example, using embrace of shadows gives me 180 seconds of invisibility and night vision, but while I may end up cancelling the invisibility after a few seconds when I backstab someone or open a door, the super washed out effect of Night Vision continues on for what feels like an age, making it harder to see detail in the game world.

Turning the brightness down was the first thing I tried and while it helped a little it still didn't make much of a difference. There are just so few dark areas in the game, plus there seems to be some sort of brightness adjustment going on all the time to simulate your eyes getting used to the available light, so bright areas automatically get a little darker and dark areas get a little brighter. I didn't use night vision in Oblivion either. This is not because there weren't any dark areas, but because Night Vision just gave everything a bluish tint that made it much harder to see compared to a torch. The effect of Night Vision in Skyrim is a lot better, there is just isn't much of an opportunity to use it.

For me Night Eye is only useful when I play in bright daylight. But since most of the time its dark around here this time of the year, light spells, torches and Night Eye are utterly useless. A darker nights mod will be one of the first made once the Creation Kit is out.

I use it regularly and that is reasonably, I have found a couple of caves and mines and stuff that I have barely been able to see in at points. There is a big upgrade from Elder Scrolls IV: Luminous Cave Fungi Oblivion. I do make the occasional mistake of forgetting to set it, and instead of seeing in the dark Whirlwind Sprint directly into the path of various enemies.

Skyrim has way too much light available at night and that is also even if you turn down brightness. We need a 'darker darkness" mod like there was for Oblivion to be honest. But even so, without some light source, I fail to see some things at night that are in bushes, near rocks, etc.