Thread: Controls unresponsive while enchanting in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Controls unresponsive while enchanting in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

This has happened a few times, usually when exiting the enchanter: enchanter window closes normally but controls are stuck, and the crosshair pulsates like it usually does when pointing at an intractable item. Player control returns after ~30 seconds, just now though they did not return. No input worked- I couldn't even return to main menu. Had to end process via task manager. Not sure what triggers this, but my hunch is that it has something to do with renaming items.

Re: Controls unresponsive while enchanting in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I experience the same thing once in a while; however I can say I've yet to rename any items so it may be something else. I am thinking it has something to do with using the mouse scroll wheel, eventually instead of only moving it up and down the list it actually zooms in/out on my character as if I was trying to switch between 1st/3rd person then as soon as I exit out of the table it does what you're describing. I haven't had it do it permanently though.

It happens to me even if I just pause for a second on trying to decide how to enchant something. My solution now is to know exactly what I want to enchant, do the single item, exit and quick save. I never try to enchant multiple things because it almost always locks on me if I do. FYI, I experienced the most frequent lockups so far in Windhelm and the least in Whiterun. I found that quick saving then reloading the entire game (by exiting out of the game and then loading it back up) fixes it after about 5 seconds of loading your save.

Using scroll wheel definitely has issues and only when enchanting, not with smithing or alchemy. I think maybe this has happened when I didn't rename anything. I closed HWMonitor and restarted Skyrim and it happened again: While using the enchanter the game would not respond to any Keyboard presses (with Xbox controller disabled.) I managed to quit the enchanter and then could not walk/run. Restarting Win7 and leaving HWMonitor off seemed to fix the issue. I've had trouble with HWMonitor and Fallout3/New Vegas before as well. Could be that certain background processes don't play nice with Skyrim.

I found an easy fix for the non responsiveness after exiting an enchantment session in which you used the scroll wheel. You just have to press the F key to switch between third and first person and you'll be able to move again.

I know to press yes/no after setting the enchantment type. When this has happened no key presses do anything, even f. It doesn't happen every time and only once did controls not return after ~30 seconds. Not sure what is meant by HWMonitor, Win7 Resource Monitor? I'm not running either while gaming.

I've had the same problem but it only happened after trying to rename an item.
    What bothers me a bit more is occasionally my movement is restricted in game...i.e. I'll be walking along and all of a sudden i stop moving forwards...then after tapping W(/any other keys- Some keys still respond,leading me to believe this is a seperate bug) a few times I'll start moving again. At first I thought it was my keyboard but I've tried a few different things and the most important point I found is that when I autorun it also stops(meaning it's not my new keyboard being unresponsive). So must be a bug, but doesnt seem like alot of people are having a problem with it. It also only happens in certain areas and only occasionally.