Thread: Worst engine possible in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Worst engine possible in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

When you make a game you want to brag how good it looks? So you make it for the high end users. Well here is one unhappy sailor. I have the biggest rig in my country and I can't run Skyrim with 2 GTX 590's. Maxx graphics 30-50 FPS and huge spikes. Lowest graphics 30-50 FPS huge spikes.

Re: Worst engine possible in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I am running it on high with tweaks, on 1280x1024 at a almost 1/10th of the cost of that machine and it runs perfectly smooth. Try to you knowing, closing down those 100+ processes you have in the background? If you want to seriously game on your computer learn to optimize your machine.

I personally find that 30+ fps is fine, i managed to play oblivion on 15 fps with my ancient rig i can play Skyrim on 30+fps now. I was more concerned about the heavy stuttering, since i never experienced that (Although, the game DOES sometimes tend to freeze for a second, but this is very rare, happens maybe once an hour or so, so i wouldn't call it heavy).

The engine itself aint that bad for what it does its just utterly outdated and doesn’t use most parts of your pc, only 2GB ram usage, only 2 cores of the cpu, only directx 9, no physique and so on yet did you actually ever compare it to any of the other engines that run smoothly? those other games made for consoles are just as bad and usually much worse, call of duty only has nice player and gun models and textures, the environment looks utterly bad, battlefield has the same problem, witcher has much less going on screen and so on.

I made my mind up four years ago that due to console saturation and developer focus it wasn't sensible to update my PC until the console receive major upgrades. This way I'm not sat in a Ferrari doing 15mph! Nice rig if you can afford it but you must be realizing by now that developers aren't into maxing out anything these days. Hence my 5 year old PC is running this game a smooth as silk. I just saw a thread that might help you guys with the FPS problems. Maybe not, who knows. Try ctrl+alt+del to get the task manager up and then minimize the game, then go back into it.

We've been complaining about this since launch day. I get about 75 FPS outdoors but in towns it will drop by more than half that based on what direction I'm facing. Doesn't matter what your settings are it's a code issue. I've been through many games that had this problem including every TES game, and they rarely get fixed, so I'll be amazed if this does. People who say its "smooth" need to give numbers. Most people I know think 30 FPS is normal until I correct them and show them how a game is supposed to perform.

2x gtx590 sounds great. But it isn't. You will certainly not get your money's worth in fun. Not in any game. And certainly not in Skyrim. If you had investigated your purchase, you would know that for as many games where SLI/CF will give you an increased framerate, there are just as many, if not more, where such a setup will only give you more headaches. Anyone experienced with SLI/CF knows that it is actually not worth the cost and trouble in general. Not just in Bethesda games, but in most games.

For those of you who are waiting for patches. Don't wait. There will be none. Not any patches that will really change performance. There will be patches with bugfixes for broken quests and other game-related stuff. Maybe some fixes for crashes or memory-leaks. But don't expect patches that suddenly increase performance. That didn't happen with Oblivion. I don't think it happened with Fallout. And it won't happen with Skyrim.

Skyrim isn't optimized very well and yes there are weird framerate bugs but I'd gather if you actually had that rig you'd figure out how to tweak the game to run at an acceptable level until it's patched, maybe by tweaking shadow map resolution and distance to achieve a decent compromise (since shadow draw distances are tied to quality you'd probably end up with "better" settings anyway) and capping FPS at 30 or 40 whilst forcing Vsync on so as to make the dips less noticeable. Be careful what you wish for because if you were running at 150 FPS your y axis on the mouse might well become crazy and render the game truly unplayable in its current build.