Thread: Need advice on Battlemage build in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Need advice on Battlemage build in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Anyone have any idea about Battlemage build? I have two characters, a 29 assassin type build and a 23 battle mage. I started the BM first and then switched to the assassin, and when I go back and play the BM he seems weak. I've put a fair amount of points in 1hw and destructions, about 55ish in skill so far in each, and heavy armor is in the 40s. For the most part I have rotated between health and magicka, with a few points more in health. I didn't realize I needed more stamina until recently so have only put about 3 points in it. Can anyone give any advice on this style build? Am I doing something wrong? I realize I won't get the x30 damage I do with my assassin, but I would like to make it through a boss fight without running out of potions.

Re: Need advice on Battlemage build in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Doing a hybrid seems to be kind of a tough route in this game. I'm a level 18 Battlemage, about 45 Destruction, 52 One handed, and a I'm in the 40s on my light armor and in the high 20s in restoration (that may be something I shouldn't be using, but, oh well.) I find myself getting in tight spots more than not. I have down potions to stay alive in some higher level fights. I don't have exact numbers, but my health is something like 180, Magicka is 140, and stamina is 130. Being a Battlemage has many benefits, but it's tough in this game to balance out skills. This is where I wish they instituted classes for us to follow.

My Archery and Sneak are in the high 30s as well. So, Destruction, One handed, light armor, Sneaking, and Archery are my main skills I'm using. With a little Restoration. Just do whatever. Keep focusing on what you are currently focusing on and maybe it'll come around.

I about 21 and don't have too much of a problem unless facing those Dwarven Construct things (the big ones) or something like that. I also leveled Conjuration so anytime I'm in close with something I have my 1h and a conjured sword. The Flame Atronach helps too. My biggest complaint is not being able to hot key spells to my D-Pad (or if you can, I haven't figured it out yet). I switch a lot, from Fireballs and Fire Runes to my Conjuration to spot healing, etc.

Not putting nay perks to that except the first few that make it use less magicka. I haven't leveled up in some time. I know for a fact I will be level 20-23 when I finally level up (been letting the skills increase and increase). Maybe the gameplay will become a little easier then. Best of luck to your Battlemage.

I don't think you can hotkey anything in Skyrim. You can add spells and weapons to your favorites list, which is similar. Look it up in the manual. Are you on PS3? If you are, go to an item, and hold down the triangle button to favorite the spell or item. Then, in battle, push up or down on the d pad to bring up the favorites list. Even before I knew Destruction didn't scale well I was against using destruction as a Battlemage. You have a sword for your primary source of damage already; splitting your damage between 2 sources just makes both of them weaker than one would be.

Alchemy potions are able to boost spell school abilities, it says makes it stronger so maybe try those. For a Battlemage honestly i would go with heavy armor, since you’re going to try to stand toe to toe with mobs. For a build I would probably go with something like this though: One-hand, block, heavy armor, alteration.