Thread: Steam and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Steam and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I a, trying to play Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim game. I have some doubt this game. I had posted all my question below so that you people can answer me one by one. I want some help on understanding the requirement of this game.
    1. Do I need Steam to run Skyrim on PC?
    2. It is possible to run Skyrim without Steam running in the background?
    3. Do I need to be connected to the internet to activate Skyrim?
    4. Do I need to be connected to the internet to play Skyrim?
    5. I preordered my physical DVD copy of Skyrim, how am I supposed to install? Do I need to install the Steam client first?
    6. I ask Skyrim Collector's Edition, but I don’t have optical drive / DVD. Will I still be able to install it when I arrive?
    7. Where am I supposed to install Skyrim?
    8. What if an update / patch come out? I can just download the patch and install it with the Steam client still set in mode offline?
    9. I'm on a slow Internet connection / dial-up. Still I can activate Skyrim when installing from a physical DVD? Will I be able to download the required updates / patches?
    10. Can I play Skyrim as soon as it is released. Is there any bug.

Re: Steam and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

These all answer regarding your question:
    1. Yes Skyrim steam is closely linked with two physical disks in DVD retail and digital online purchases. To play Skyrim, you need to start your Steam client and then launch Skyrim from library of steam, leaving the Steam client running in the background.
    2. No. You need steam working in the background.
    3. Yes, there is no such thing as off-line activation.
    4. No. It can run in offline mode, which means you need to go online once to activate Skyrim and install the required updates / patches. And then you do not really need the internet connection to play. Sometime the Steam client is updated and that needs the online connection.
    5. No. Once you are done with proper installation you can go ahead with playing the game. Just ensure that steam is installed in your system. You will need internet once to activate the game. And then you go ahead with playing it easily.
    6. Yes, you need a internet when you are entering the game key for activation. When Skyrim is in your Steam client and you can download and install it over the Internet without needing the DVD at all.
    7. No. There will be no incompatibility issue. Skyrim is on the Steam platform. Some sites promote steam activation codes for this game. And if you have any of those then you need to use that online.
    8. Any steam game is all the time installed in the Steam folder. Most of them does not ask you the installation location.
    9. No. The only way to upgrade Skyrim is to go online and let the Steam client to download updates for you.
    10. It's possible. You can activate Skyrim on a slow connection or dial-up connection. But on the other hand Steam activation data files needs regular updates and patches. The download would take sometime.
    11. Yes There will be more details on preloading via Steam Skyrim closer to release.

Thanks for the reply. This is really helpful. Your efforts are appreciated. It would took time to get those answers. I hope I will not face any serious issue while playing the game. I had seen people usually face problem with the connectivity and not able to get proper output. I have a good internet connection. I had done with setup and activation.