Thread: Beginner Magic User in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Beginner Magic User in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I have selected High Elf as my race since I wanted to be a heavy magic user. This choice 'gifted' me with two spells one which is supposed to heal me and the other which is suppose to shock the enemy. Well, I suppose they work but they do so at such a trivial level that they are useless. I have to have my character which I expected to be a Mage and make use of the melee weapons almost exclusively as trying to use magic just ends up getting me killed. Therefore now I have a race configured for magic but a character by means of 99% of the practice as a melee / 2 handed expert. This is the reason that I have a weak melee person with a good deal of Magicka all or most of which is ineffective. Is there someone who is able to apply a Perk to their character? I am sure that that you can’t do that. I have all mine pending. I don't get the silly slippery Perk screen at all. It is the worst implementation of a game UI I have seen ever.

Re: Beginner Magic User in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I am not sure about this but if you want then you can try the conjuration and you will get an elemental to fight with you.

I would like to suggest you that you should never rely on a single form of combat. Always have some sort of melee to fall back on. That being said, the spells get way, way better as you go on. At Adept level, you can get chain lightning spells, ice storms, massive fireballs, etc. And that's just a little more than halfway through. Starting off with magic is basically hard mode but it's well worth it. This is as long as you don't neglect melee of course. Keep in mind that this isn't like Oblivion where you're stuck with one for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Irene-I View Post
    I would like to suggest you that you should never rely on a single form of combat. Always have some sort of melee to fall back on. That being said, the spells get way, way better as you go on. At Adept level, you can get chain lightning spells, ice storms, massive fireballs, etc. And that's just a little more than halfway through. Starting off with magic is basically hard mode but it's well worth it. This is as long as you don't neglect melee of course. Keep in mind that this isn't like Oblivion where you're stuck with one for life.
    I don’t think that the game is that tough to play. There is no offense but you just suck if you can’t kill with 'flames' at low level.

This is nice thing regarding Skyrim that you can dual-wield blades and spells. Just start off using flames to supplement melee, then gradually switch over to using magic supplemented by melee. You can get yourself a summon dremora lord or a fire daedra. They're great tanks and pack a punch. You yourself cast frost spells which slows down the enemy. You will never die this way if you use your summons well. There's also alteration spells which saves you a lot.

When you level up, you put the points in stamina or hp and after that click on the skill and you will see the perks. The is zooming with 25% slower speed is actually a perk which works if you click to shoot, hold and make use of the block button. It will zoom in and consume your stamina. This is the reason that high stamina is recommended. Therefore just take all the archery perks apart from the 2x arrows found and the perk which provides you 3x bows damage while sneaking as of the sneak section and you will be fine. As for becoming a good archer it takes practice honestly.

If you want then you can also wheel up and wheel down while in the skills/perks screen in order to move through the perk constellations.

I am not in front of my game at the moment but I remember just left clicking the lowest perk in the constellation and that was it. Have you remapped your left mouse button? Also be aware that each perk has requirements that you need to meet before you can click it. The requirements are listed when you hover over the perk.

I am also beginner to the game and I am dont found it that hard as a starter to the game. You can have a good start with the game without any problem and as you have more practice with the game then you will find yourself confirtable with that.