Thread: Mercenary cannot wear iron armor in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Mercenary cannot wear iron armor in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I have hired Janessa, Dark elf and she can wear iron helmet, gauntlets, boots, use sword, 2 hander but there is only one problem that I cannot get her to dual Wield or wear Iron Chestplate, infact she won't replace her chest piece at all. Why can't I get her to dual wield or wear a chest plate? Does she level with me? If I hire her, let her go and hire another mercenary and let him go then hire Janessa again, will she still have the entire inventory that I gave her? Will she wear them so others can recruit her or does she love how her starter gear looks on her? Do I hire her again for 500 gold or will she stay with me forever when I hire her once?

Re: Mercenary cannot wear iron armor in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I would like to tell you that the companions only use weapons and armor if they are 'upgrades' over their default equipment, when it does that evaluation it appears to only use the default damage/armor values, disregarding any enchantments. Your breastplate is simply worse then the one she currently has equipped (That you can't see the stats off). The only time I've ever seen the companion dual wield is when it had a staff equipped, thus giving it a free hand to equip a melee weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimos View Post
    I would like to tell you that the companions only use weapons and armor if they are 'upgrades' over their default equipment, when it does that evaluation it appears to only use the default damage/armor values, disregarding any enchantments. Your breastplate is simply worse then the one she currently has equipped (That you can't see the stats off). The only time I've ever seen the companion dual wield is when it had a staff equipped, thus giving it a free hand to equip a melee weapon.
    Thank you so much for such a quick reply. I realize all that, however my mercenary is currently wearing Leather Armor with 29 armor rating while I want to give her 35 armor rating. She refuses to put it on. She has plenty of room in her inventory as well. I tried emptying her inventory (cannot take her beginner armor) and tried again but nothing works.

I have noticed that behavior sometimes as well. It appears that for some item slots, the companion will have a preference when it comes to armor type, however it's not consistent. You'll probably not have any issues getting your mercenary to equip the bracers/helm/boots, but she'll probably only upgrade the chest if it’s light armor.

I gave Forsworn armor to my Merc. she did not wear it. however, I went into a fort with her and she actually wore the forsworn. I kept a save file, and infact, every time I enter another place, or reload the save, she is wearing the forsworn chest piece. If I try to take the forsworn away and give it back to her, she will not wear it. So I'm going to keep it saved. At least she looks female with the forsworn on.

I believe that their armor is accidental. I gave my Mage Merc some black robes and he alternates between them and his default gear all the time.