Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lydia my housecarl is missing in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Lydia my housecarl is missing in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I was appointed thane by the Jarl, and I assumed it would come with a room or house? I have been up and down all the streets and houses and cannot even find one for sale (even checked the minimap). With this appointment I received Lydia the housecarl ( I have been calling her hot carl) as a companion/follower, we climbed the mountain to see the grey beards, I ran from the Troll like a little girl, and she eventually followed soon after, mission complete, saved, looked for her in every place, she is gone. Obviously I cannot enlist any other person till she is accounted for and if she was dead it would be easy, shouldn't she have a beacon on the map?

Re: Lydia my housecarl is missing in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Try entering a dungeon. Followers usually spawn right behind you when doing so, unless she's dead of course. The house is called the Breeze house (20 ft or so by the main entrance to Whiterun) and when bought Lydia will be there. If you have the breeze house, she might be there or she's caught on something on a mountain or where ever you left and need to find her. I had the same problem in Oblivion. That’s why I haven't bought her along because I don't want her getting stuck on anything like a twig or a sm rock

Before you have a residence, she lives in the castle. Try checking to see if the game got confused and sent her home? She'll be hanging out near the entrance or sitting at the table. Once you buy a home she'll sit there patiently and wait for you. Oddly enough, in your bedroom. If you fast travel anywhere, your current companion will spawn next to you. If it doesn't happen, she's dead or on stay somewhere. Or at home. And the guide says "any lethal blow inflicted on a kneeling companion will kill them ie forever" but these guides tend to be wrong after the 1st patch.

To buy a house go speak to Jarls dude at Dragonreach that works for him with the balding head, he stood to the left advising Jarl when you spoke to him. You need $5000 to buy the house. As others have said, it’s Breezehouse and the second on the right when you enter town. Lydia may be there, but more likely she may be back with Jarl at Dragonreach.

Missing Lydia reminds me of my missing horse. I slew a dragon with my Ancient Nordic Greatsword and the scaly beast landed on my trusty steed, causing her to evaporate. Obviously just fast traveling makes it reappear at the stable, but made me none the less.

As far as I know, Lydia can't die on standard difficulty. I've watched her go toe to toe with Dragons and Giants, go down (i.e. kneeling position) get finished off, and then get right back up. When Lydia is finished off, it takes about a min for her to get back up sometimes, about 10 sec for her to return from Kneeling. I will sometimes jump on a horse and go for a ride with her in tow. She follows by foot at max NPC speed, so it can take some time for her to catch up (I road straight to Solitude from dragon reach by horseback, she showed up 10 to 20 mins after I got there). She should fast travel and join you after zoning always automatically if she's still following you. If not, she'll go back to your home, or sit Dragonreach if you don't own the Breeze Home until you come back for her (Check the Jarl's side or balcony of Dragon Reach if you can't find her there).

I am having the same issue. I can not get another helper because it says that I have another follower. I went to the house to look for her and to Dragonreach... nothing. I tried to back track my stuff from last night, but I can't seem to find her anywhere. It is pretty lame.

Quote Originally Posted by kleintime79 View Post
    I am having the same issue. I can not get another helper because it says that I have another follower. I went to the house to look for her and to Dragonreach... nothing. I tried to back track my stuff from last night, but I can't seem to find her anywhere. It is pretty lame.
    I think that you need to get Conjuration maxed out so that you can have two flame helpers or god like zombies helping you all the times + Lydia and then your army will be unstoppable. And if anything gets our of control, you can just start running away casting flame/ice/lighting traps at your feet. Hope that helps you out.

She can die if you keep letting her get hit after she drops to one knee, she will stop and they will stop focusing her but she can indeed die. According to the start guide, it says if "You [the PC] Inflict fatal damage" then the follower will die. Maybe only the player can truly kill a follower? Don’t know, but I haven't seen a NPC that can kill Lydia yet (And I've puter her up against some real monsters).

I was doing the mission where i had to go the party and create a disctration near Solitude. There was an ice troll and he killed Lydia with 1 hit. Can i get her back somehow or what?

Quote Originally Posted by xPL4NxSpr33 View Post
    I was doing the mission where i had to go the party and create a disctration near Solitude. There was an ice troll and he killed Lydia with 1 hit. Can i get her back somehow or what?
    Yes, you can get Lydia back in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. All you need to do is just go to Dragonsreach. She's either eating, walking around, or standing where you first got her or if you bought a house in whiterun she will be there.

She is not in Dragonsreach... I checked the whole building 2 or 3 times...

sad Re: Lydia my housecarl is missing in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I was accosted by road bandits while on horse back just outside Whiterun, and I rode through expecting Lydia to run along behind me. But she stayed behind to fight and when I circled back barely a minute later she was already dead, her corpse lay in the street. ( I'm on standard difficulty too.) I was surprised how bummed that made me. But now I have Erik from Rorikstead and I must say on the whole he has been better company.

Except now I am suddenly on a quest with Aeyla The Huntress and got notified that my companion replaces my follower. After the quest finished and I was on my own, Erik is nowhere to be found. Not back in Rorikstead, not where I left him. Is he likely "dead" to me now too?

This can be call as bug. Because many had noticed the same issue. What I found suddenly strange dying lydia on floor at the time when she was following. But as you keep traveling this thing is fixed. There are different glitches in different version of the game and there are many more pending.

There are some reason that can be discussed here behind Lydia's disappearnce. First if she dies in the game then you cannot see here in further level. Second if she's is left behind, she's not able to move further. This is the game glitch in which you can do nothing. And third in some fight she rans to kill a enemy. You must keep saving the game when you are playing so that in case if something happened you can restore her back. So first save the game and then begin th ebattle. Because it happens when you use a weapon it hits her and she dies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast