Thread: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Need a house in Encumbrance to store stuff

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Need a house in Encumbrance to store stuff

It is bad form to have to drop useful stuff out of my Inventory. I want to buy a house in Whiterun. Or is there a housing problem there and I have to look elsewhere? To whom do I speak about buying? I thought the Jarl's Steward would be the answer but whom and where is the Steward?

re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Need a house in Encumbrance to store stuff

I think you can get a room in the magic college until you can buy a house. He is the Aventius Something-ius, he is always (During the Court) in the Jarl's Longhouse. But before buying a house you need to be allowed to do so by the Jarl himself (Doing Whiterun's Quests). Also, you can purchase that Nord Warrior Companion at the Tavern and use their as your armored backpack.

The room in the College of Winterhold is free and is a good alternative for those who don't have the money to buy even the smallest house like the one in Whiterun. As for buying said house in Whiterun, talk to the steward after you're made Thane and he should sell it to you. You should be made Thane pretty quickly if you do the first few main quests.

The steward is called Avenicci. He's balding and usually found just next to the Jarl's throne, or eating at one of the long tables, or studying the Civil War map on the second level of Dragonreach. To buy a house, you have to get the Dragonstone for the court wizard and/or slay the dragon at the Whiterun Watch Tower early in the main quest. The house costs 5000 coins and you can purchase upgrades/furnishings for a few thousand more. Another option is to join the College of Winterhold, where you will get a free room and a couple of storage containers. It's not much but it'll give you a bit of breathing room to clear up inventory space until you can afford a better house.

I am Thane but every time I go to that palace on the hill there is only the Jarl, the dark elf bodyguard, and that wizard. The Jarl doesn't offer a talk option on housing. I guess I will have to hang there for a bit to see if a Steward turns up.

Try the 'balcony' of Dragonsreach. Upstairs, the big doors 'behind' the throne. Sometimes he's having a good time there along with the jarl's brother and/or the wizard. He is usually eating with the other Dragonreach 'personal' at 9 am and 7 pm. The time between he wanders around, at night time he sleeps in his bed first door right in Dragonreach quarters (upstairs, door 'left' of the throne). He does not get angry when disturbed in his sleep.

It took me very little time to get 5000 gold to buy the house in Whiterun, and even without the upgrades there are 3 storage containers on the upper levels. But then I deliberately stayed close to Whiterun, with its shops, and used my lovely packhorse, I mean housecarl, Lydia to carry stuff.

Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Need a house in Encumbrance to store stuff

Lydia and me, we are Whiterun residents now. Unloaded a ton of stuff and off we go questing and dungeon-diving. Damn! Took on another dragon just outside of Whiterun. My Shouts are more effective now. Only needed one Shout and a couple of whacks on the snout with a simple steel 1H sword.