Thread: Need a New Companion in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Need a New Companion in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Anyone have any idea about the Companion in this game? I just need a new Companion because Lydia is depressing. I would love to get a companion that can tank as well as actually use a ranged weapon. Getting tired of doing all the Dragon fighting while Lydia just stands there with her shield and mace getting owned by the Dragons breathe.

Re: Need a New Companion in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Lydia uses her bow quite often in my experience. She is actually better with it than that wood elf guy in the first village. I tried giving her a bow, a bow and some arrows, to just not giving her anything in the hopes she will use a "Default" bow. She never uses it when I want her to, and when I need her to protect my squishy body, she runs away and snipes, leaving me to get mauled. She acts appropriate for me. I have also heard others complaining that she don’t act very tactically. I have only used her extensively on one of my characters as she died by the frost troll on my first character.

I would give anything for Lydia to STOP using her bow; I gave her the axe of Whiterun, orcish swords, all kinds of things. She simply prefers to be a wood elf apparently. She doesn’t seem to have much of a personality either; I will do whatever u say, whenever you say it doesn’t really count as a personality.

Honestly, the only complaint I have in this game is that unlike the Fallout games, there is no option in Companion dialogue to make them "Use their ranged weapon". I don't care if you're a tank. You have a bow, and that dragon is flying. Now, unless you can jump really high, get that bow out and start shooting it. I know this is the first elder scrolls that makes extensive use of them but i don’t see how they couldn’t implement at least what they already had available to them. They had no problem copy pasting the lockpicking.

I was doing the Wolfskull cave quest with him, before I went in he went; "Hmm, a cave. Trouble, or maybe treasure?" and when you walk into the room where their trying to bring her back (big ball of purple light floating, to make it easier) he went; "By the Nine!" which I thought was a really nice touch. I don't know if he's just scripted to say it whenever you go near an entrance, and something of note, but it really makes him feel more like a person.